Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Upstate oxford shirt, $99 at International Playground
- Uniqlo cotton check long sleeve shirt, $22.90
- Equipment signature plaid washed-silk shirt, $270
- J. Crew ‘Endless Stripe’ shirt in burgundy, $78
- Trademark classic shirt, $188
- Mother of Pearl ‘Keres’ shirt, $197 at Opening Ceremony
- Elle Sasson 'Bangus' poplin top, $225 at Otte
- Topshop two stripe shirt, $70
- Pixie Market 'Seeing Stars' boyfriend shirt, $84
- In God We Trust white silk 'Paloma' blouse, $80
If there's a prime time for layering it's now, deep winter—when gloves are mandatory, turtlenecks over scarves don't seem redundant, and no one bothers to change from snow boots to heels once they get to the office. And the button down is the perfect layering piece for sandwiching between a heat-tech tee and a sweater before buttoning up your outerwear exoskeleton. Here, we've rounded up a few of our favorite not-so-basic styles, from silky plaid Equipment blouses to gold-tipped Trademark tops and extra-long J. Crew shirts.