Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
While you were ogling Emma Stone's Golden Globes jumpsuit from your couch, InStyle's fashion and beauty editor-at-large was busy chatting about it with Al Roker on the Today Show—on "almost zero sleep" post-after-partying, no less. For Kahlana Barfield, it's all in a day's work.
We followed Kahlana, a ten-year veteran of the magazine, on her weekend in L.A., sweating it out with trainer Ngo Okafor at Flatiron's Peak Performance, filming a segment with Wendy Williams, and scoping out the best of spring's beauty arrivals.
- I’m kicking off my beauty diary with a weekend in L.A. for the Golden Globes. Couldn't be more excited to get out of this dreaded NYC weather!
- Packing and can't help but overpack shoe options (even though I'll only be gone for three days!). My running sneakers are the only thing missing from this photo because, well, they don't look as pretty in the mix! But trust me, they're in my suitcase. I h
- My flight essentials consist of new Beats by Dre Powerbeats2 wireless headphones and a bottle of water. Couldn't survive a five-hour flight without either of the two.
- So happy to be in L.A. Not only because of the weather, but also because I get to book an appointment with two of my favorite artists, hairstylists Kiyah Wright (left) and makeup artist Eva Kim. They came to my hotel room to prep me for the awards. Kiyah
- My finished makeup look.
- For the lip, Eva used Nars Matte Velvet lip pencil in Train Bleu and topped it with a layer of Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense lipstick in No. 15.
- After our InStyle & Warner Bros. Golden Globes after-party, I went back to my hotel to take a power nap before heading to the Today Show for a segment. Although I was completely exhausted, I went straight to the bathroom for my skincare
- It's 6am and although I'm operating on almost zero sleep, there's never a dull moment with Al Roker on the Today Show. Here, I'm giving a recap on the best-dressed stars at the Globes.
- Back in New York and back to reality. I have to be at the gym at 7am and can never just pop up and get moving. I have to set my alarm clock for 5am and snooze until 6:15!
- I work out at Peak Performance with my trainer, Ngo Okafor, two to three times a week. He's incredible. He has a way of kicking my butt and pushing me to the fullest without being overly aggressive. But after 60 minutes of his workout, I'm ready to pass o
- There's no better feeling than exiting through these doors. Four words: the workout is OVER!
- I received Dolce & Gabbana's new nail polish collection today and couldn't stop looking at the gorgeous bottles. Thankfully, the range included a stark white, which is generally the only color I wear on my nails.
- After work, I took the polishes to Bloomie Nails (my favorite nail spot near my office) and got a quick manicure.
- I've been collecting fragrance bottles for many years, and this unisex scent from Adidas is the latest member of my collection. It's the coolest bottle ever—a high-top sneaker with the signature Adidas three stripes, designed by Jeremy Scott.
- Backstage at the Wendy Williams Show prepping for my "winter skin and hair" segment. Makeup artist Renny Vasquez gave me soft, natural makeup with a slight winged eye.
- Renny used this gel eyeliner from Benefit, which has been a game changer in my beauty routine since it launched last year. It has a thin, slanted applicator that draws the perfect line every time.
- I loved talking beauty with Wendy Williams—she's super fun and engaging. The upbeat energy in her audience is like no other.
- Here's my beauty inspiration board, which stays up in my office. It's filled with all the hair and makeup looks from backstage at the spring shows. I rely heavily on this board when I'm brainstorming story ideas and looking for trends.
- Just arrived at the set for our spring makeup shoot, which will run in our March issue. Here's a look at some of the makeup collections that are launching this spring.
- The one and only product I stole from the shoot: Dior's new stick-on eyeliners. I'm wearing them to dinner with my fiancé tonight. He's not the biggest makeup fan, but as I always tell him, it's part of my job!
Photos: Left, Driely S. ; Right, Kahlana Barfield