- Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent dress, $71 (was $275)
- Moschino dress, $330 (was $1,495)
- Reem Acra gown, $440 (was $2,800)
- Jill Stuart gown, $88 (was $378)
- Nicole Miller gown, $305 (was $1,400)
- Back of Nicole Miller gown
- Narciso Rodriguez shift, $250 (was $1,895)
- Allison Parris gown, $145 (was $627)
- Catherine Deane gown, $342 (was $1,540)
- Badgley Mischka gown, $173 (was $795)
- Slate & Willow dress, $49 (was $395)
- Francesco Scognamiglio dress, $354 (was $2,800)
- Mark & James by Badgley Mischka dress, $59 (was $495)
- Ugly sweater, $11
- Badgley Mischka bag, $84
- Adrienne Landau bolero, $72 (was $225)
- Rag & Bone wrap cape, $220 (was $1,895)
- Milly dress, $172 (was $645)
- Herve Leger dress, $397 (was $995)
- Badgley Mischka dress, $126 (was $800)
- Moschino dress, $187 (was $1,395)
- Milly dress, $60 (was $350)
- Reem Acra dress, $543 (was $1,995)
- Elizabeth and James dress, $99 (was $365)
- Prabal Guring dress, $282 (was $1,695)
- A broken zipper
- Stained dress
- Stained dress
Surprise! The Rent the Runway sample sale returned early this year, and we stopped by 260 Sample Sale during this morning's VIP hours to scope out the selection. Aside from the usual dosage of uber-cheap accessories, unidentifiable stains, and fitting room frenzy, we found a number of beautiful designer dresses and gowns in (pretty) decent shape, at about 90% off their original cost.
Dresses are organized by size, with long dresses in size XS/0 on the immediate left upon entering, and long dresses in sizes XL/14/16 in the back near the fitting rooms. The middle racks are devoted to cocktail dresses, sundresses, and casual shifts, also organized by size, while jewelry and accessories are located along the right wall. No one size seemed to be more stocked than others, though plus-sizes were sparse.
Most dresses are in the $100 to $200 range, including those by brands like Moschino, Badgley Mischka, and Elizabeth & James, while others tended to near $300 (Prabal Gurung, Nicole Miller, Herve Leger, Reem Acra). We spotted dresses for as low as $49, however, though they're mostly in dated styles (so many freakum dresses, lacy cocktail dresses, and otherwise boring dresses). The quality overall is...okay, but every dress is more than likely to need at least a little bit of work by either a skilled tailor or dry cleaner—just be sure to factor that into the cost. To get a better sense of pricing and discounts, scroll through the slideshow.
Only a handful of bags are for sale—there's a mohair Badgley Mischka satchel that appears to be in good shape (and is just $84), but the collection of party clutches is much more vast and cheap—nothing seemed to be over $100, including Moschino, Kate Spade, and Lilly Pulitzer.
Jewelry is also mostly under $100—there are a few Oscar de la Renta and Dannijo statement necklaces for just over $100, though other styles could go as low as $12. We also spotted an Alexis Bittar bracelet for $56, and cocktail rings for between $30 and $80.
And about those fitting rooms, or rather, lack thereof. In true sample sale fashion, should you wish to try something on, you'll be herded into a pen of other women attempting to grab a spot at one of the two mirrored walls.
No word on whether there'll be markdowns, though if past sales are any indication, there may be additional sales on the last day (this Sunday). For hours and dates, see the Dealfeed below.
̭ Dealfeed: Rent the Runway [Racked NY]
̭ Updated: Rent the Runway's Sample Sale Is Back Early [Racked NY]
̭ Sample Sales [Racked NY]