Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Photographer, illustrator, boutique owner, fashion designer, model, fragrance developer, and makeup artist are all descriptions that could have applied to the Canadian-born Hannah Kristina Metz at one point or another, though you might know her best as a ubiquitous internet presence. Between shooting lookbooks for Samantha Pleet, opening her (soon-to-close, sadly) LA boutique The Loved One, and now, designing an eponymous clothing line, the recent Brooklyn transplant has cultivated quite the online following, thanks to her dreamy, ultra-feminine aesthetic.
We followed Hannah as she plays Exquisite Corpse at her friend Tennessee Thomas' store The Deep End Club, trims her own bangs (then debates seeing a professional), and finds a solution to the invisible-eyelash problem shared by all blondes and gingers: cat-eye eyeliner, everyday.
- These are my everyday essentials. I've been using the Fresh cleanser for a few years now and cannot recall my cleansing life before it—it takes off even the most stubborn eye makeup without any irritation. The serum and moisturizer are newcomers; their or
- This is more or less what I wear every day on my eyes. I feel naked without eye makeup on because of my ginger eyelashes and I think I perhaps overcompensate for that feeling by lining on a cat-eye everyday, even when that day is just milling around the h
- These are my favourite face essentials right now. The BB cream goes on a bit orange but through some magic, relaxes to my pretty much transparent skin tone.
- This is what my face looks like with all of the above put to work. My Sunday is not super eventful and includes a trip to a recording studio to do some voice work for a friend's movie and delicious pan-seared salmon with black sesame crust dinner. Mmm.
- I like to start my week off with this calming mask. It leaves my skin feeling plump and pretty, and I like dipping my fingers into the pot. The texture of this mask is very satisfying to touch.
- I'm hosting a dinner for friends tonight; I make a cottage pie and these delicious vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, a recipe I nabbed from my mum. I'm always a bit skeptical of vegan and gluten free combos when treats are involved, but these
- I drink a lot of tea: Earl Grey all day, every day. This is probably not great for my teeth.
- I've been trying out this natural deodorant again. I originally got it during the warmer months and found it was not very helpful at all. It works nicely now and smells delicious though it is a little uncomfortable to put on. I put it on before yoga and e
- Usually I reserve Sunday night for nails, but I was distracted by a good book so a quick morning application will have to do. Pale up top and navy on my toes.
- I'm photographing my friend Kimi today and matching my hallway tiles.
- Kimi's hair with a fresh coat of pink paint on it.
- My husband and I are having a date tonight and my little parade of lipsticks are invited out.
- Date night look.
- Gave my bangs a little trim. I've been trimming my own bangs since I was 15, but this year am considering it might be time to visit a professional. Getting all those little pokey bits stuck on my nose and in my eyelashes is getting tired.
- I'd like to eat this scrub. It's hard to not use this everyday, especially in this weather, but I like having skin on my face so I use it the recommended three times a week and no more.
- A sneak peek of some early samples from the collection I'm working on. I'm trying to wrap this one up and get on with fall, which I am now desperately behind on. Oops.
- I made another vegan gluten-free combo treat for a friend's birthday. Nobody has any idea at the absence of the two. This one is even better than the cookies, though I am missing a bit of the filling because it was greedily spooned into my mouth as I was
- The massive amount of popcorn consumed on Wednesday's movie date is making its mark on my face. This stuff works at smoothing out the bumps and is fun to dot on.
- I'm developing a fragrance to release with the forthcoming collection. After a few weeks of trial and error I think I've nailed my formula. Now it's time to mix it up multiple times over and not daydream while counting out 80 drops of carrier oil.
- When I was a makeup artist I took a great amount of pride in having always the cleanest brushes. I wish that pride had carried on into my personal life because what used to be an every-few-days spray clean has turned into an every-few-weeks shampoo. I pro
- I'm hosting an event at my friend's shop The Deep End Club. We drink punch and play exquisite corpse (a drawing game where each participant draws a body part without seeing what's been drawn already).
- Favourite weekend breakfast right now is smoked salmon with avocado on fresh crusty bread. Mmm.
- Pretty bathroom wallpaper at Bakeri. I didn't line my eyes today so I look both young and old and definitely tired.
- This isn't a Saturday-specific routine but an everyday necessity. My skin feels like lizard skin without this stuff.
· Beauty Diary [Racked NY]