Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As far as multi-national megachains go, it's pretty impressive that Target, known for collaborating with big names like Missoni, Rodarte and Proenza Schouler, chose a man who launched his first collection a mere six years ago; one whom the average Target shopper—even the average Target collab shopper—might not know much about. But the Altuzarra for Target collection speaks volumes: Not only does it have Sofia Vergara–levels of seductiveness, but it's all under $100.
Here's a few crucial things about Mr. Joseph Altuzarra: He's young. Like, really young. Born in Paris in 1983, he launched his first collection in 2008 and won the CFDA prize in 2011, followed by spots in Forbes' 30 under 30 and WWD's Ten of Tomorrow. He's also designed costumes for the New York City Ballet, describes his styles as sexy and "fiercely feminine," and regularly texts with Carine Roitfeld, according to a WSJ profile earlier this year.
While you'll have to wait until Sunday to see his Target collection in the flesh, you're free to shop Altuzarra's designs at places like Barney's New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Opening Ceremony, Jeffrey, and Kirna Zabete right now. But if you're in it for those Target prices, we've got your guide to shopping the 48-piece collection in NYC before it launches Sunday.
Where to go
The most centralized Target locations in New York City—East Harlem, Atlantic Terminal, Bronx Terminal, Riverdale, and Queens Plaza—will all sell the collection starting at 8am on Sunday, but that also means they'll likely be the most crowded. Here's a list of every Target in the greater New York area that will have the collection, according to the website:
· 100 14th Street, Jersey City, NJ
· North Bergen Commons, 7101 Tonnelle Ave, Hudson, NJ
· Edgewater, 535 River Road, Bergen, NJ
· East Harlem, 517 East 117th Street
· Atlantic Terminal, 139 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn
· Brooklyn Junction, 1598 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn
· Gateway, 518 Gateway Drive, Brooklyn
· Queens Place, 8801 Queens Blvd, Queens
· Staten Island CNTL, 2873 Richmond Ave, Richmond, NY
· Valley Stream, 500 West Sunrise Highway, Nassau, NY
· Bronx Terminal, 700 Exterior Street, Bronx
· Bronx-Throggs Neck, 815 East Hutchinson River Parkway, Bronx
· College Point, 13505 30th Avenue, Queens
· Staten Island, 2900 Veterans Road West, Richmond, NY
· Menlo Park, 100 Parsonage Road, Middlesex, NJ
· White Plains, 9 City Place, Westchester, NY
· Clarkstown, 4120 Palisades Center Drive, Rockland, NY
When to arrive
Target opens at 8am, so it's recommended that you arrive 30 to 60 minutes in advance to secure a decent spot in line, depending on which store you go to. Last fall at the Phillip Lim for Target launch, our Atlantic Terminal reporter arrived at 7:40am to a line of 20 people, the first of whom said they arrived just ten minutes earlier. In East Harlem, however, the reporter arrived at 7:20am to a line of 60 shoppers, and heard reports of a 20-person line by 6am, with the first people arriving at 4am. As for the Peter Pilotto for Target launch in February, however, the line by 8am at Atlantic Terminal was only 25-strong, even though the first diehards had been there since 4am.
What to get
You can preview the entire collection here, but the trench coat, the sleep sets, and the crane-accented sweater and dress were huge hits at the preview party, according to our sister site, so be aware that those items might be the first to go.
They also mentioned that the faux fur cropped jacket looked great in person, as did the black jacquard pencil skirt and the black lace dress.
Lessons from last year
Atlantic Terminal, while less crowded than East Harlem, was a bit of a wreck for Phillip Lim. The doors were locked until just before 8am, at which point everyone had to run over to a different line, only to find the shelves almost completely bare. The staff restocked by 8:15am, but wouldn't say anything about restocking later in the day.
In East Harlem, the bags were completely gone by 8:20am, and the noon restocking only included clothes. A word for shoppers in Queens: According to Twitter, last year, a fight almost broke out over who was in line first. Stay safe out there, guys.
· Altuzarra for Target: The Complete Buying Guide [Racked]
· Target's Altuzarra Press Party Was Quiet, Refined [Racked]
· Target Guest Designer Altuzarra, Explained [Racked]