Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: Seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this is a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- I start the day off right with a training session with Allison Vernon Thompson of TribecaTrainer.com. She has been my trainer for 8+ years now, our workout sessions are my emotional and physica
- Some of my skincare staples are Tata Harper body oil (love that it has a pump for a quick, no-mess application) and Ren bath oil (for times when I actually have a moment to take to a bath, which is rare, this oil’s scent
- I arrive at Paintbox and film a segment with Susan Yara of Mixed Makeup, a new-ish YouTube channel with excellent beauty tutorials. I get our classic bright red Paint Ball manicure with <
- Mani cam!
- Stop by Olive's on my way home for my usual iced coffee (sidebar: how cute are the red and white straws?!) and roasted mushroom sandwich with herb ricotta (so delicious).
- Tuesday begins with a spray tan and brow tint and wax at the Benefit boutique in SoHo. I swear that a brow tint makes a world of difference in my everyday beauty routine. It just gives you that I-woke-up-like-this definition, and it makes
- I work from home the rest of the day, planning out the shoots for our fall lookbook. I’ve currently narrowed down all of the nail designs that I want to shoot from about 100 to 40, and I have to get to 25. Here are some of the polishes that I’m considerin
- I take a break from working to rope Elvis, our four-year-old French bulldog, into posing with my favorite makeup brush. Sephora makes the most durable, blendable brushes for makeup. Poor Elvis.
- I play with my son during the afternoon and take this quick snapshot on his toy truck –really sums up the juxtaposition of my life!
- As a beauty editor, my two favorite topics to write about are always nails (natch!) and fragrance. I’m definitely perfume-obsessed and pick my scent based on my mood each morning. In addition to Frederic Malle Carnal Flower, my other two
I start the day early by cabbing it to our shoot with Estée Lauder for their new Estée Edit blog. They provide a killer hair and makeup team (amazing!), and I got so many compliments on my pale peachy-pink lip color,
- Anytime I’m lucky enough (or have enough time!) to get a blowout, I always request beachy waves that are more like twists than Real-Housewives barrel curls. The hairstylist got it right at this shoot—I really LOVED my mussed-up, casual hair. The key to ge
- My good friend Alyssa Kolsky Hertzig is coming over to my apartment later in the day to shoot a post for her fun blog, The Sparkly Life, so I put on a little more makeup than usual for heading into Paintbox. I glam it up
- In order to have glittery, reflective nails for the shoot, I get Julie Ventura, one of our incredibly talented manicurists, to paint my nails in our Bling Ring look. She blends a custom gold for my nails to make them espe
- I use these essentials to touch up my makeup for the shoot, so that my skin looks fresh. The Top Shop Crayon is a great way to add radiance to the inner corners of your eyes to look more awake, and the Tarte concealer is
- My “mane” MVPs for third-day hair (I wash my hair twice a week—don’t judge!): A T3 curling iron to smooth out my texture, Bumble and bumble Spray De Mode Hairspray (buildable but lightweight), Oribe Dry Texturing
- Third-day hair, don't care.
- Some makeup musts: La Prairie Ultra Protection Stick SPF 40 (so easy to apply and never makes me break out), Almay lip gloss (for a sheer pop of color), and Aerin Rose Lip Conditioner (heavenly!).
- At Paintbox, I work on editing fall colors from Zoya, Deborah Lippmann, Essie, and Vinylux. So many amazing options to pick from!
- My top ready-for-the-weekend ritual: Lighting a candle while I work from home. My current pick is Dayna Decker in Zima, an oaky citrus scent. The candle has a wood wick, so it gives you that homey crackling sound as it burns.
- My husband, son, and I head out to the Hamptons for a weekend getaway, and I bring a couple new perfumes to test out. The Givenchy Eau Demoiselle is summery and really elegant–rich but floral at the same time.
- After a morning Flywheel class in East Hampton (Holly Rilinger motivates me on even my laziest days), we head out for a first-birthday party in Water Mill. I keep my hair and makeup casual with Smashbox Halo Perfe
- I snap some artsy pics of my glittery nails by the pool. It’s way harder than you think to take photographs of your hands!
We cap off the weekend with a family picnic on the beach. Beauty products I frequently steal from my son: Honest Detangling Spray (ideal for smoothing out post-pool knots), Aquaphor (a derm favorite for a reason), and
Eleanor Langston made her mark on the New York City beauty scene earlier this year when she opened Paintbox—a nail art salon for nail art skeptics. But the former beauty editor's product expertise extends to more than just polishes, as we found out while browsing her beauty diary. See which foundation Eleanor swears by, the makeup brush that rivals her French bulldog in softness, what she packs for a Hamptons getaway, and tons of mani shots, in the gallery!
· All Beauty Diary Posts [Racked NY]
· Attention Nail Art Skeptics: Paintbox Will Convert You [Racked NY]