Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
There's a new weekend market heading to Bushwick: Bedford and Bowery reports that SHWICK, "market of makers," will open on August 23rd with 40 to 100 vendors. While the founders haven't nailed down an exact location yet, the bazaar will definitely be indoors. Here's what we know so far.
1. Organizers are accepting the first round of applicants. Makers who want to sell their creations can apply at Shwick.us.
2. Monthly stoop sales are a very real possibility. "If you're moving to California you can get rid of some of your stuff," Shwick co-founder Chris C. told Bedford + Bowery. "And if you've got good taste, you'll make some money off of it for the trip out west."
3. It'll run through December. The founders plan to keep Shwick open until the first week after Christmas before closing through the winter season and reopening in spring 2015.
4. There's a Shwick motto. "It's just Bushwick without the B and the U. And it makes a cool motto: Be. You. Shwick. It looks cool and sounds cool, and it's fun."
· It's Gonna Be 'Schwick [Bedford and Bowery]
· How Many Fleas Does One 'Hood Need? [Racked NY]