Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: Seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this is a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- In Feng Shui, the color red represents fire, divine energy, and passion. I usually place something red in my bedroom to attract more love and romance into my life.
- Every week I visit my gifted friend, massage therapist and acupuncturist Kerry McVey at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, where she bleeds out my spider veins and does whatever else I may need, like acupuncture, cupping, or massage.
- Oil pulling, an Ayurvedic ritual taught to me in India, is part of my oral care. Using 1 or 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, swish in your mouth for 15-20 minutes a few times per week. This practice aides in cavity and gingivitis prevention, builds stronger g
- I have been using this Bare Minerals mascara for quite some time now and it is just great. Goes on smooth and does not become clumpy and dry. My lashes look natural and long. Best mascara!
- The water lounge at Great Jones Spa is where I go to put myself back together, sweat out toxins and metals, and to simply relax. I always include a DIY Dead Sea salt and olive oil scrub and the JustBe Purifying Vegan Face Mask. I also apply
- Making the Love Potion Tea is one of favorite rituals. This medicinal infusion helps to see the love in ourselves, the love in the world, and the love around us. I let it steep over night and drink it throughout my next lovely day.
- I am absolutely obsessed with the fairy dust from Maha Rose healing center in Greenpoint. I can't leave my home without a dash of dust to make my day sparkly and fun. Their shop has many beautiful handmade offerings.
- EAT in Greenpoint is just fantastic. Organic and farm to table whenever possible is their thing. The food is made and served with so much love you either don't want to leave or always want to return. And their chai tea is absolutely heavenly and be
- My super woman vegan smoothie sustains me through my morning. I am really into nutrient packed liquid meals and this is one of them. Wild blueberries, black berries, pineapple, acai, homemade sprouted mung beans, kale, raw pumpkin seeds, raw sunflower see
- Whenever I can take a bath, I add organic rose petals to make me beautiful. This is one of my favorite rituals that heals my spirit and washes off all the accumulated city "eek." You will feel like a queen.
- If I am in a hurry but want to do something lovely for myself, I do a quick hand exfoliation with the JustBe Chai Bath & Body salt, and add a few drops of Rejuvenating Body Oil to make my hands feel soft and hydrated. It's a quick gift to myself.
- I love applying raw aloe on my skin as serum to help hydrate. It's also a great soothing serum and can be used on blemishes for healing. I grow my own aloe and always recommend everyone have a plant of their own in their home.
- My oily T-zone loves a good clay mask. This particular one is fresh river clay from the Osa Pennissula. Clay helps to draw out toxins and impurities from the body, like a magnet. It makes me feel earthy and clean.
- My crystals go everywhere with me. I love to sleep with them as well. Right now I am really into moon stone, labradorite, crystal quartz, and rose quarts. And I put a few plumerias at the foot of my bed in a bowl of water ,just because.
- I had the most gorgeous two-hour body and face treatment in Costa Rica by Allison on the Osa Penninsula. She used all raw ingredients and wrapped me up in banana leaves and love. The treatment included a full body clay mask, a mint and coconut oil wrap, a
- One of my favorite masks is a raw avocado mask. It is so nourishing and moisturizing that your skin will want to say "I love you" for giving it such nourishing food. I apply a thick layer and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. It's perfect for the winte
- Dancing with the sunrise is one my favorite things to do. The early morning sun has this vibrant energy, and to bask in its solar radiance and vitamin is truly a beautiful gift I gave to myself every morning in Costa Rica. Salute the sun.
- I am "coco" for coconut water. It is super hydrating, loaded with electrolytes (making it great for hangovers), and a life saver, as it is isotonic to human blood. It makes a moisturizing hair rinse as well.
Negin Niknejad is an New York City-based esthetician, Usui Reiki practitioner, holistic healer, and founder of the handmade skincare line JustBe. Her personal beauty routine involves the Ayurvedic ritual of oil pulling, trips to the water lounge at Great Jones Spa, and a morning "super woman vegan smoothie." In this week's Beauty Diary, we follow Negin to her favorite acupuncturist, a farm-to-table restaurant in Greenpoint, and all the way down to Costa Rica.