Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- 1930-40s Late Art Deco Massive Hexagonal Citrine Ring, 14K Gold, $1,850. Photos: Driely S.
- 19th Century Starfish Intaglio, Rock Crystal, Modern 14K Mounting, $1,195; Victorian Cockatiel Brooch, 14K Gold, $3,250
- 1940's Forest Fire Painting, $195
- Victorian Egyptian Revival Pharaoh Brooch, Late 19th Century, Enamel on Porcelain, $695
- 1870's 14K Gold and Garnet Pendant on a 1960's 14K Ball Chain, $2,750
- 1890's 18K Gold Turquoise and Diamond Ring, $2,395
- Victorian Scarab and Brazilian Coin Necklace, $725
- 1930's Emerald Cut 1.15 Carat Diamond Engagement Ring, $8,995
- Late 19th Century French 18K Gold Filigree Collar Necklace, $3,750
- 1840's Snake Fob Intaglio, $325
- Art Deco Garnet Ring with European Cut Diamonds, Set in Platinum, $3,650
- Mid-1900's Miniature Souvenir Totem Poles, $45 Each
- Late 1800's Blue-Grey Cologne Bottle with Enamel, $85; Late 1800's Turquoise Topped Cologne Bottle, $75; Late 1800's Black Amethyst Glass Enamel Vase, $135
- 1840's 14K Dog Bracelet, $1,895
- Early Victorian Pearl Hoop Earrings, 14K Gold, $3,250
- Victorian Turkey Earrings, Rose Gold Plated, 14K Wires, $380
- 1880's Victorian Key Brooch, Gold Filled, $95
- 1920-30's Chinese Art Deco Carnelian and Silver Bracelet, $550
For a store full of very beautiful, very old things, Erie Basin is surprisingly modern. The Red Hook shop is open and airy (a conscious decision—owner Russell Whitmore believes that it's easier to see how timeless Edwardian and Deco jewelry can be when it's presented in an anything-but-stuffy environment).
Russell's spring haul, sourced from New York estates and his frequent travels to the Midwest, runs the gamut from delicate Victorian pearl hoop earrings to a massive 1940s citrine ring that wouldn't look out of place on Game of Thrones.