Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Open Studio, a Racked feature where we explore the workspaces and showrooms of some of the city's most talented, up-and-coming designers.
Bushwick resident and Missouri native Nina Berenato spends her days at Flux Studio, a shared workspace in Greenpoint where she creates all of the pieces from her line, Psyche Jewelry, by hand.
She named Psyche after the Greek Goddess of the Soul, and the names of her designs all hark back to that ethos: there's the Vibrations cuff, the Sacred Path earrings, a Shaman's Medallion, and the Vision necklace. Inspirations scattered throughout the studio include potted plants, arrows that are family heirlooms, an old photograph of her grandmother, and her fellow metalsmiths.
- I am a rare bird in jewelry designer world in that I’m an early riser. I like to start my day walking from my apartment in Bushwick to the studio in Greenpoint, weather permitting. When I arrive, around 9 or 10, I grab a cup of coffee and ge
- Small Vibrations Bangle, $120
- Visions Necklace, $185
- Healer's Ring (top), $110; Teardrop Ring, $130
- Honeycomb Ear Cuff, $120
- As my workspace constantly changes with the mood and direction of the brand, one anchor that remains is an image of my Grandmother, Charlotte. She was an important person as I was growing up in the Midwest and always inspired my imagination and dri
- Teardrop Necklace, $185
- With metal and tools all around, I love to keep plants in the studio and in my home to add a bit of color and life. The studio has beautiful natural lighting and amazing windows that overlook Greenpoint. It’s hard not to stop at a plant store on my walk f
- Eland Horn Necklace, $175
- Mons Necklace (left), $155
- Refio Cuff (top), $110; Deus Cuff, $110
- FluxWork Studio is a shared workspace where I work on my line alongside about eight other jewelers who have become like a family to me. We each have our own bench where we work, but many of our tools are shared among us. The most important thing we
- Sacred Path Earrings, $185
- Shaman's Medallion, $220
- Tribe Necklace, $185
- Green bands mark shared tools that everyone is welcome to use. They come from a hodge-podge of places, from Craigslist to estate sales. I love to experiment with the new tools that come into the space. Here, you can see our wall of hammers. Each different
- Tribe Necklace, $185
- Bending Cuff, $240
- I chose the arrow as Psyche Jewelry’s logo because my line is named after Psyche, the Greek Goddess of the Soul and lover of Eros, the god of love. If you know a bit about Greek mythology, then you know that Eros is the winged cupid ready with arrows in a
- Within Vision Necklace, $195
- Bending Ring, $88
- Tribe Earrings, $175
- Vibrations Cuff, $240