Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: Seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this is a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- Photo by Bek Andersen
- I love anything medical or scientific, so I'm REALLY into my Jawbone Up band. I just got back from London Fashion Week and am totally wiped. The most surprising thing I've learned from my Jawbone is what a good little sleeper I am! I regularly get
- I went running at Equinox this morning so I did my "makeup" at my desk. I use the word lightly because it's just this bronzing serum that one of our beauty editors, Megan O'Neill, gave me, and Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Het Loo—a cool 90's br
- I try and do Bikram four times a week when I'm in town. I like Bikram Yoga LES—the teachers are fantastic and the class is so challenging and intense that my mind goes completely quiet. Plus, 90 minutes of staring at yourself mostly naked and drenc
- I'm leaving for Sun Valley tonight to go skiing. I always try and exercise before a flight, so this morning I went for a run then walked around on a bunch of appointments and pulls. My first stop was at Rachel Comey. I'm already planning to buy the
- Flying to Salt Lake City! My pre-flight ritual involved a one hour delay, two dirty martinis (bad idea), an Evian mist spray, and a generous slathering of Boo Boo balm all over my lips and knuckles.
- Also important: Eye mask, white noise app on my phone, water, and Kindle.
- Good morning from the airport Comfort Inn! We're driving to Sun Valley today. I raided the Lucky beauty closet before I left and am pumped to try this Dr. Alkaitis face wash and Sachajuan goo.
- Liars! There was a mediocre supply.
- That Sachajuan Finishing Cream is serious. I'm growing my hair out from a crazy short pixie cut and I get super excited to wear it curly again.
- Finally we got to Sun Valley and I immediately went to the hot tub. I felt like a Japanese Snow Monkey sitting in this thing. I love it.
- Before skiing I did this papaya enzyme peel because I'm a gross girl. Then I used this Glytone sunscreen (must wear sunscreen!) and Dyptique Roses, which I love.
- Skiing! I'm not a great skier but I had a blast with my friends Michael Thomas and George.
- A whole bunch of crap I brought to Sun Valley. I don't wear much makeup but I always pack glitter and Marc Jacobs's Showstopper lipstick.
- We all sunburned the hell out of our faces today, despite wearing sunscreen. Step one towards looking like a pro…
- I found this little oil sample in my bag—it was from a NYFW goodie bag. It has a lot of sea buckthorn berry oil, which I understand is the great antioxidant hope of North America. I put in on my face and laced up my skates to show some cocky ten year olds
- I'm the boss.
- Because we're in Idaho, we had steaks and potatoes for dinner.
- It's nice to be able to quantify exactly how relaxed you are on vacation. Five hours and 47 minutes of deep sleep! Well done, me!
- Okay, I have to be allergic to my sunscreen. My face is on fire! I'm spraying my face with Evian mist and La Mer The Toner (borrowed!) hoping that super-riche Sun Valley vibes will heal my mug.
- Whiskey! Finishing the day at Pioneer Saloon. Really into their napkins.
- Thinking about this rattlesnake skeleton for my next tattoo. As if!
- I have a very real fear of heights. I took the lift to the top of the mountain, tried to do a steep green run, had a full blown panic attack and had to carry my skis back up the crazy mountain sobbing. If not for my friend Anais' coaching I would have die
- I was still feeling sad about my panic attack so I bought myself a fur scrunchie in town.
Laurel Pantin serves, officially, as Lucky magazine's Market Editor and unofficially as a huge breath of fresh air on our Twitter and Instagram feeds. The pixieish blonde did time at both Teen Vogue and Glamour before landing her current gig, and while she's very much a part of the fashion industry, she isn't your typical fash-un girl—thank God.
In her week of documented beauty, Laurel shares her airplane ritual (the dirty martinis are not recommended) on the way to a ski vacation, desperately tries to rescue a sunburn she catches on the slopes, and quantifies her level of relaxation via her Jawbone Up.
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked]