Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- 7:15am: Waking up in Red Hook to a beautiful sunrise. Time to get ready for Capsule!
- 9:45am: Getting registered! The show's about to start.
- 10:15am: Organizing the gift bags I'm giving to my favorite editors and buyers. A set of 14k JDS tea rings, products from my favorite beauty line, Fig & Yarrow, and my beloved hand cream from
- 11:02am: Putting the final touches on my booth display showcasing my autumn/winter 2014 collection, Raised By Foxes.
- 11:48am: Walking around the show, excited to see all the beautiful collections.
- 12:12pm: Jaclyn from Orly Genger shares her latest collection with me, as I swoon over this new necklace.
- 1:25pm: Stopping by my friend's booth to indulge in my favorite scent from her line MCMC Fragrances.
- 1:48pm: Talking with buyers, Leah and Duru, about the inspirations for Raised By Foxes and the little details we love about jewelry.
- 2:12pm: My booth has had so many lovely visitors admiring the new pieces. I'm taking a moment in between client appointments to straighten things up.
- 3:36pm: One of my dearest buyers stops by to admire the autumn/winter jewelry and immediately pops on this Double Drop Ring. Check out her nails.
- 4:02pm: My agent Laura stops by to purr over the shiny new pieces! She's so amazing.
- 5:45pm: On a whirlwind lap around the show, I discover the gorgeous interior products at Bzippy & Co's booth. Coveting one of these stunning mirrored globes.
- 6:00pm: Starting to think about which rings I should wear to dinner. Perhaps all of these lil' beauties should come out tonight?
- 6:54pm: We did it! The Capsule team celebrates a successful first day of the show! Time to head out for a celebratory cocktail.
- 7:38pm: Cheers! After sliding into my favorite table at Dudley's, the buyers from Seattle boutique Velouria let me treat them to a night out in the Lower East Side.
- 9:52pm: Co-Op desserts are irresistible, so we ordered one of each!
- 11:38pm: Home sweet home. Removing all the day's adornment before climbing into bed. Excited to indulge in a little sleep, so I'll be refreshed for tomorrow, day two of the Capsule show!
Capsule is a fashion and lifestyle trade event that showcases the best progressive brands and independent designers. Taking place twelve times a year in Paris, Vegas, Berlin and New York, it allows buyers to see a multitude of new collections all in one space.
For this weekend's event at Pier 36, Brooklyn jewelry designer Jené DeSpain documented what a typical day is like prepping for and manning a booth at the tradeshow. Jené, who's completely self-taught, has been hand-making her line since 2010 from materials made entirely within the United States. Currently, you can find it at boutiques like Cloak & Dagger, Sucre, Thistle & Clover, and more.
· Jené DeSpain [Official Site]