Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Sample sale season is upon us once again. We thought it'd be a good time to review our ethics policies, since we'll be devoting a good chunk of our coverage to the sales—from where the best deals are to which aren't worth your time—for the next several weeks. Racked reporters have been following these guidelines internally for years, and we'd like to remind you of what those are.
1. First, the goal of our sample sale coverage is to provide a useful and comprehensive guide to one of the most unique, most entertaining parts of shopping in New York City. Every effort is made to ensure accurate coverage. If you spot a factual error, please let us know: email@example.com.
2. Sales appear on the site based on our understanding of reader interest. We never accept payment for editorial listings.
3. We do accept advertising, but all ads and sponsored posts are clearly marked. If we feel a sale isn't worth your time, we'll tell you, no exceptions. There's only one way to secure positive coverage: Have a really good sale.
4. Racked reporters sometimes get offered early access to sales. This access allows us to post reviews of sales before they begin, so we usually accept it, much the way that film critics accept tickets to movie previews and TV critics accept screener DVDs. If we got in early, we'll tell you, and when possible we'll follow up by waiting in line to see how the sale has changed once it's open to the public.
5. In the past, we have been offered VIP access to certain sales on the condition that we don't cover them. We do not accept those invitations.
6. Our reporters do not accept freebies or personal discounts at sample sales.
Any questions? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fire away in the comments section.