Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Spring 2014 skirt, size 2, $120 (was $354)
- Skirt, size 6, $200 (from $540)
- Skirt, $120
- Spring 2014 skirt, size 12, $270 (from $540)
- Spring/summer 2013 sample shorts, size 2, $90 (from $331)
- Fall/winter 2013 jacket, size 6, $350 (from about $881)
- Pre-fall 2013 jacket, size 6, $450 (from $1,456)
- Fall/winter 2011 jacket, size 6, $120 (from $1,083)
- Pre-fall 2013 peplum top, size 10, $180 (from $563)
- Resort 2014 sample top, size 2, $100 (was $313)
- Pre-fall 2013 body-con dress, size 6, $350 (from $795)
- Resort 2014 dress, size 10, $400 (from $1,040)
- Fall/winter 2012 floor-length dress with sheer panels, size 12, $650 (from $1,456)
- Resort 2013 dress (missing detachable peplum belt), size 6, $180 (from $665)
- Fall/winter 2012 dress, size 4, $250 (from $998)
- Fall/winter 2011 dress, size 6, $260 (from $415)
- Fall/winter 2012 dress, size 6, $325 (from $771)
- Spring 2014 cotton tee, size M, $50 (from $157)
- Fall/winter 2011 sweater dress, size M, $80 ($330)
- Belts, $25
Update: Sales staff just let us know that they'll be open on Friday, October 31st from 8am to
7pm 4pm, and Racked NY readers can take an additional 20% off their purchase today! See our original report below.
We stopped by the public Prabal Gurung sample sale just after it opened this morning and were absolutely blown away by how pretty and pristine everything is. Merchandise available includes dresses, blouses, tees, skirts, shorts, pants, and belts for up to 80% off—but nearly everything we found was available in one of two sample sizes.
Everything available on the five racks is individually tagged, noting original and reduced prices, its season (starting from fall/winter 2011 and going to pre-fall 2013), whether it's a true sample or production duplicate, and the garment material, in many cases.
Regarding sizing, this sale is a goldmine if you are a size two or a size six. If not, you're taking a gamble—we found select pieces in sizes 10 and 12, but who know how long they'll be around for.
In general, skirts started at $90 and went up to $180, while tops hovered in the low $100s. Jackets could range anywhere from $250 for $450 depending on material, and dresses started around $180 and went up to $750.
The cheapest items there are super-soft cotton tees for $50 (these came in larger sizes), shelves filled with belts for $25, and a single gray cotton sweater dress with a pull on the sleeve for $80—note that this was the only damaged item we found. For more pricing details, scroll through the gallery above.
There's a fitting room available here, though many shoppers opted to try pieces on in front of the showroom's large mirror. The frosted office doors on the 15th floor are unmarked, but all you need to do is press the buzzer to be let in. The sale runs through 7pm
tonight on Friday, October 31st—see the Dealfeed below for more information.
· Dealfeed: Prabal Gurung [Racked NY]
· Surprise! Prabal Gurung's Private Sale Just Opened to the Public [Racked NY]
· Sample Sales [Racked NY]