Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- It's the first Monday back at work after Christmas break, and I look like a zombie. Say what you will about eye creams—I find the only way to look awake is by loading on the mascara.
- Well, this is a nice surprise! There's a box from Tatcha waiting on my desk for me. In it is their Camellia Beauty Oil and Nourishing Lip Balm, both of which contain 24-karat gold leaf. This is t
- I'm testing out a brow pomade by Anastasia Beverly Hills. It's INTENSE. This is the lightest color! I really love it, but am going to need some practice applying it.
- I'm going out to dinner after work, and have zero shame about doing my makeup at my desk. I'm going to use the gold from this baked MAC shadow on the inner corner of my eyes, and the glittery taupe from the Tom Ford trio on my lids. It's the
- After much debate, I finally figure out my New Year's Eve makeup game: A well-defined red lip, featuring Lipstick Queen's Velvet Rope Lipstick in Brat Pack and Bite Beauty's
- As for my nails, I'm going with this gorgeous sparkly white by Lancôme. It reminds me of how snow looks through a child's eyes
- I went with my girlfriend and some of our friends to the steam whistles at Pratt at midnight. There's something so cathartic about saying goodbye to 2013 with a lot of noise and steam drifting off into the freezing night air. Speaking of freezing, I am fr
- This is embarrassing: I only had a few glasses of champagne, but woke up with the most miserable hangover. So, we're making tofu scramble with broccoli, and hash browns. The secret to a good tofu scramble is adding soy sauce and nutritional yeast. My poor
- As for my puffy raccoon eyes? They're a mess. This eye mask by GlamGlow is amazingly effective. After just a few minutes, I don't look like a corpse anymore.
- I'm going to need to sleep off the damage my hangover is doing to my skin, and this is the ultimate cocktail for waking up with a clear complexion. Orlane's B-21 serum is some kind of miracle, with anti-aging properties that really do make my skin
- It is SO COLD OUT. I can feel my skin turning to ice flakes. The only thing making me feel better during my mile walk to the subway (yup) is this lipstick by Illamasqua called Growl. It's a matte-finish mahogany and I want to marry it.
- I'm trying to start the new year out right with this healthy lunch. It's spaghetti squash with kale, arugula, and pink beans. So delicious!
- I just had a consultation with Aveda during which we debated whether or not I should let them dye my hair blue, like the cover of this magazine. We settled on pink—I think it will look more natural.
- It's snowing pretty hard on my walk home. I've got two pairs of socks on underneath these bad boys. And by bad boys, I mean steel-toed Doc Martens. I don't mess around.
- The office is closed because there's so much snow that New Yorkers don't know how to exist. I'm warm and cozy inside, with the help of these two delicious candles. One is sandalwood and the other is heirloom pumpkin—the combo of the scents is so heavenly,
- Speaking of scents, this is my new favorite perfume: Midnight Fleur by Nest Fragrances. It's a super warm fragrance, with patchouli, black amber, and vanilla. I think patchouli gets a bad rap. There's a right way to do it, and a wrong way. This is
- Being stuck inside is a great excuse to organize my makeup. I got all these plastic storage solutions at The Container Store and it's making me so happy to be able to see everything at once.
- Last night, I tested out a new night cream, and I woke up this morning with a horrible rash all over my face. So, I kept this Dermalogica vitamin mask on for about an hour, and then followed it with Kiehl's Multi-Corrective Cream—two skin ca
- I have a Saturday ritual of exfoliating my whole body with this sponge and then using coconut oil instead of moisturizer. It takes a while to dry, so I can only really do this on the weekends, but afterwards my skin is the softest thing.
- I'm going to a friend's record release party in Park Slope tonight, which is a great excuse to try out a lipstick I just got: Rio Rio by Topshop. I'm officially obsessed with it. The best part? It lasted all night. I put it on at 8pm and it was sti
- Confession: I basically only wash my hair on Sundays. After washing it, I work in Morrocanoil's Treatment Light, and let it air dry. This makes it dry to a baby-s
- We're going to my girlfriend's sister's place for dinner. I had this lipstick blended by Giella Cosmetics, a makeup brand that custom makes products for you. I asked for a dark red that wasn't purple or brown. It's a happy accident that it matches
- I like to plan out my beauty looks for the week on Sunday night. To make life easier, I keep my favorite lip stains by Sephora in one drawer. Yes, I have one in every color, and I love all of them.
Gabrielle Korn is the beauty assistant at Refinery29 where, in her words, she "gets to combine her passion for lipstick and haircuts with her background in writing for the internet." Her week of documented beauty was unusually quiet due to the snow and end-of-year activities, but she still managed to have a consultation with Aveda debating blue versus pink hair, nail down at New Year's Eve makeup look, and test drive more lipsticks than the average snowed-in girl.
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]