Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: Seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- I've been fighting the cold that's going around, taking as many vitamins as I can find to help keep my immune system up. A healthy way to pack in vitamin C is to keep a few clementines at your desk. And EmergenC—gotta have that.
- Nothing gives me a pick-me-up like getting a manicure and the ladies at Valley Nails in Soho do a stellar job. Valley's awesome salon manager, Hannah, floats by to check on me. She's sporting an incredible vi
- I like to take it easy on Fridays, so I went to watch gorgeous Amy Adams in American Hustle (read: perfect hair, many, many v-slit tops, absence of a bra). She's amazing in that movie.
- The weather hasn't been great as of late, and it's keeping me cooped in my apartment. I'm getting bored and a little stir-crazy. There's only so much Netflix to watch. These kinds of days are perfect for apt cleaning and trying out some hair and face trea
- I've been eating healthier and ramping up my workouts as per the New Year. Nothing puts more pep in my step than a cycling class at SoulCycle. I go to the UWS one—free cycling shoes, towels, and Smart Water
- I went to All'onda, a new restaurant near Union Square, with a friend and had the yummiest brussels sprouts there. Everything on their menu is drool-worthy but this simple dish stole my heart and left me wan
- Dermalogica invited me to their Soho store for a facial and face mapping. My aesthetician Marissa works through my is
- Shopping around Soho for stationary (a guilty pleasure of mine) and I stumble on this inspirational pouch at The Paper Source with a quote by Winston Churchill. "Never, never, never, never give up," it say
- Every Sunday, I take a long searing hot salt bath. Perfect way to wind down the evening and it relaxes my sore muscles after yoga. Ahhh. Ahava's lavender bath salts are my favorite. Lave
- My secret to white teeth isn't a high-tech gadget. Whitening strips! I've been using Crest 3D Whitestrips for months now along with whitening toothpaste. I'm a
- Trying out these juices from Organic Avenue. The Dragon's Breath is intriguing; the Green Love is scary looking. But everyone's been raving about them so I have to try. Here's to health. Bottom's up!
- Pretty pumped to see Canadian model Daria Werbowy on the February cover of Harper's Bazaar. I interviewed her in Toronto a few years back and she was so inspiring. She was just taking off on her hiatus then. Even more beautiful in person. Like jaw-droppin
- The cold has left my skin a new kind of parched. It's a holiday today so I've got more time to exfoliate and give my skin the pampering it needs. This rich L'Occ
- I found these Chloéscents in my spring stash from last season. I love finding beauty presents. Especially when I hide them from myself!
- My makeup bag is usually the weight of a small child but today I'm traveling light. My favorite sparkly compact (Swarovski Crystals, ahh) and a few lip, face, eye, and fragrance things for a quick touch up. Out the door in 5 minutes. The rest I'll do on t
- A snowstorm's hit New York, so I'm stuck inside. Time to practice some fine flicks. This felt-tip liner from Stila is super smooth and stays on all day without a
- My skin would be an oil slick without primers. No really. I swear by them to keep my T-zone perfectly matte. I especially love B.Kamins (Canadian brand). All of them keep my makeup looking fresh for those days
- I feel a breakout coming on. Time to use one of my favorite beauty gadgets of late, the Tanda Zap. It uses LED light technology (the same kind used at your dermatologist's office) to fight bacteria under the ski
- Running out the door in the morning and I grab this cheap-and-cheerful Touche Éclat stick. As good as the YSL one without the splurge (I have both).
- Topshop sends me some AW13 goodies from its beauty line. Two rich, bold lip colors and an inky felt tip liner. I do a happy dance. Then I photograph them.
- A fabulous NY friend of mine, David, told me that I "NEED" to try out this gym, Equinox. He's really the arbiter on all things cool, so I do. The gym has all of the amenities and more. What to my glorious surpr
- I've been growing out my hair for a few years now after chopping it off after a Lady Gaga-inspired bob (don't ask) and now that my hair is past my armpits (gloriously!) it's getting harder and harder to blowout myself (usually takes me an hour, *groan). <
- After my blowout, I did a quick lap around the shops to see what's on the beauty shelves at the moment and walked into French-based brand Oliviers & Co. I love beauty products and packaging there. You don
- The cold is relentless. Today is was 20F-freezing! Stuck inside (again), I rustle around my apartment for something inspirational. I find a sweet pastel pink Simply Vera Wang clutch and some Pantone Radiant Orchid-inspired purple glosses from
Freelance beauty editor Glynnis Mapp is originally from Toronto—but that doesn't mean this Canadian is immune to the serious hell that is this New York cold snap. The beauty buff just deals with it a little differently: Her time cooped up in the apartment involves t-zone treatments and deep conditioning sessions.
Once she's able to leave the confines of her toasty apartment, Glynnis shares the budget-friendly touche éclat stick that's just as good as YSL, and the blowbar that uses beauty editor-approved products. Click through for a week with Glynnis.