Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- Let’s be honest. Beauty routines rest on basic fundamentals—sleep and hydration. Thus begins my Monday morning with two of my healthier addictions. I drink a full carafe of water and I check my Jawbone UP app. As an entrepreneur and mom to a two ye
- Monday mornings always feel rushed with so much work ahead of me in the week. The natural citrus and mint fragrance of Nine Naturals shampoo and conditioner is a refreshing pick-me-up to g
- I am obsessed with GLAMSQUAD, a new iPhone app that allows you to book affordable, in-home beauty appointments. It’s the height of efficiency for a Monday morning. I stepped out of the shower and the GLAMSQUAD s
- And my after. The stylist used Nine Naturals Restorative Conditioner to calm down my fly-aways.
- This is a handmade, natural brush by Ibiza that my stylist used for my blowout. It’s made from cork, wood and boar bristles. I just ordered my own from Amazon.
- We always seek feedback from real customers as we develop new products. Today, our marketing team met with several pregnant women for breakfast to try out the products we’ll be launching in February. We had so much fun talking beauty, careers, babies and
- Prepping Nine Naturals samples for the Golden Globes Pre-Party! I'm so excited to be doing collaborations with the nursingwear line Au Lait a
- In the evenings, I use a combination of oils and creams to moisturize my face and body, especially during the winter months. For my face, I’ll mix together a few vitamin-rich oils like organic argan oil and
- My purse essentials. I always have Tatcha Beauty Papers and Revolution Organics Beauty Balm in Blushed. The beauty balm is a multi-tasker that I can use on my cheeks and lips.
- No time for breakfast – grabbed an organic green juice at Bubby’s on the way to the office to get me through the morning. Love being able to get an extra serving of veggies this way!
- Over lunch today, I got a sneak preview of a new app, Toxic Baby, being launched by filmmaker and activist, Penelope Jagessar Chaffer. It’s based on her documentary by the same name (which everyone should wat
- The app will include a chemcyclopedia, a listing of over 500 chemicals of concerns that can be found in beauty products and other common household products. Here’s a listing on 1,4-dioxane, a possible carcinogen that can be found in shampoos and soaps tha
- Towards the end of a long week, I’m starting to look a little less refreshed. I love RMS Beauty’s all-natural Living Luminizer for days like today. Dab a little around the eyes and it instantly brightens up your look to at least give you the appear
- Met up with my friend Holly who is 39 weeks pregnant. She asked me to bring her some more Nine Naturals Belly Butter—her fourth jar and stil
- Finally squeezed in a little time to use a gift certificate that I received two years ago for a massage at Shibui Spa at the Greenwich Hotel. The subterranean pool lounge and spa are under the roof of a 250-year old farmhouse reconstructed by Japan
- I tried a homemade toothpaste of baking soda + finely ground salt + peppermint oil + water per the advice of my dentist, who thinks the natural, store-bought toothpaste I use might be the reason my teeth are staining more easily. The toothpaste tasted lik
- At the baby shower of my friend Sarah who is expecting a baby girl in February. Sarah is the Curator at the Museum of Sex (@curatorofsex) and is writing a book that will include a chapter on sex during pregna
- Last minute packing for Mexico where my family and I will be meeting with three of my best friends and their families. Threw in my Nine Naturals
- I woke up in New York where it was 20 degrees, got on a plane, and arrived in this beautiful home by the afternoon.
- Our open-air bedroom for the next week.
- For my pedicure on this trip I used Sabrina from ZOYA, a three-free nail polish. I picked up these TKEES flip flops last November after a pedicure at my friend Sarah’s nail salon
- My daughter Charlotte and my friend’s daughter Clara sharing an organic popsicle purchased in the little town by our house. They’re wearing beach tunics I picked up from the Roberta Roller Rabbit store i
- My husband bought a TRX so he could squeeze in workouts during business trips and now we always travel with it. It’s a great way to get a full body workout away from the gym. He set it up on the yoga deck at our house. By far, the most beautiful scenery I
- Proper sun protection should be a staple of any woman’s beauty routine, but many sunscreens contain chemicals that have been connected with cancer, endocrine disruption and other serious health issues. Badger sunscreen is all-natural and uses only
- I found these SPF 50 sun tops from J. Crew for me and my daughter just before the vacation. You don’t have to worry about continually reapplying sunscreen, and they actually look good!
- Paradise. Happy New Year!
Grace Lee doesn't want you to poison your baby. When she learned how chemicals in beauty products can impact unborn tots, Grace left her job as VP on Wall Street to dedicate her life to creating chemical-free, high-performing beauty products for expecting women. Enter Nine Naturals: Grace's answer to the dilemma of staying beautiful during pregnancy (and beyond), without accidentally hurting your little-one-to-be.
In her week of documented beauty, Grace shares the app that brings a blowout to her apartment, her DIY skin hydrating routine, and a sunblock that's safe for the whole family (oh yeah, her week ends in Mexico—lucky girl). Click through for seven days of non-toxic beauty with Grace Lee.