Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The battle is finally over. After being padlocked out of his Astor Place newsstand last month for invalid licensing, Jerry Delakas has been granted permission to reopen his kiosk as early as today. DNAinfo reports that the 64-year-old Greek immigrant must pay $1,000 for a new license and the first portion of a $9,000 fee, to be paid off in full by November 1.
Delakas and his lawyer, Arthur Schwartz of Advocates for Justice, believe that their visit to Gracie Mansion on January 5, in which the newsstand operator presented Mayor Bill de Blasio with a cardboard representation of the kiosk and pleaded his case, positively affected the outcome.
"I think it shows a different stance on small business [under de Blasio], and a lot of those smaller businesses that have been set upon by city government should find this encouraging to fight back," said Schwartz.
Mayoral press secretary Phil Walzak said, ""We are glad we could reach an outcome that ensures Jerry's will remain a part of this community for years to come."
And in Delakas's own words: ""This is not about winners or losers—this is about emotional moments."
· Ousted Astor Place Newsstand Operator to Return Under Deal With City [DNAinfo]
· Jerry's Newsstand Gets Two Weeks to Plead its Case [Racked NY]
· Morning Fuzzies [Racked NY]