Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
Photo by Christopher Wallace
Alana Frankfort heads up the New York City leg of Gilt City. Her job includes vetting local restaurants, spas, and shops to ensure that site has the best of NYC on offer—so, yeah, that means lots of running around to fun places and getting to taste, sample, and experience New York's finest.
In her week of documented beauty, Alana takes a meeting at Kimara Ahnert Studio that ends in a pro makeup application, shares her tip for super feathered lashes, and reveals her love for Flywheel (Hottest Trainer 2012 winner Kara Liotta even treats her to a private class over the weekend). Like what you see? Get more by following Alana on Twitter and Instagram at @alanafrankfort, and Gilt City at @GiltCity on Instagram and @GiltCityNYC on Twitter.
- I am addicted to Flywheel. I absolutely adore everything about it: the community, the clothing, the kick-ass workout. Taking a spin class on Mondays is critical for my sanity: it kick starts the week ahead, acts as a detox from whatever I consumed
- This afternoon I had a meeting at Kimara Ahnert Studio, my absolute go-to haven for all things beauty. From makeup application to facials to eyelash tinting and extensions, they are the absolute best in the industry. We discussed their next Gilt Ci
- I was very overdue for a skin check up, so during my lunch hour I had an appointment with my dermatologist, Dr. Howard Sobel. Because I have freckles and fair skin, check-ups are a must. Much to my dismay, Dr. Sobel told me that my freckles are no
- After work I did a little shopping on Bleecker Street. My first stop was Caudalie, whose products are an essential part of my daily regimen. I specifically needed to stock up on the
- Next stop: Coach. There are a few Coach boutiques throughout NYC but I find the Bleecker Street location quaint and easy to navigate. So easy that I found
- I had a meeting today with Fragments, one of the absolute best jewelry retailers in the city/online. The showroom is gorgeous! I couldn’t help but try a few pieces on.
- I had some time in between meetings, so I stopped by Beam Laser Spa to get a quick underarm touch-up (sorry if this is TMI)! The specialists at Beam are among the best in the industry, and it doesn’t even hurt. I constantly preach getting laser ha
- Back home in the west village, I stopped by Casa Magazines to check out the new September covers and stock up on some weekend reading. If you haven’t been there, GO! They have over 5,000 different publications.
- Thursday night was a close friend’s birthday party, so I stopped by Dream Dry for a much-needed blowdry and style (I chose the “Farrah” look). When I got home, I swiped on my Kimara eyeliner, some new Nars eyeshadow, and my Benefit Go
- The floral dress I’m wearing is from Pinko, a brand I discovered on a recent trip to Italy. This gorgeous cake is made by my BFF Alyssa, AKA Cake Clique.
- Time to escape the city to spend time with my family, friends, and enjoy the amazing weather. Upon arriving to our family beach house, I soaked up the last hour of daylight on the lawn playing with my nieces and our dogs.
- Later, I attended the perfect dinner party at my neighbor’s house.
- Kara Liotta, star Flybarre Instructor, and a friend of mine, came over to teach a “Flylawn” session for myself and a group of friends. (I
- After lunch I went paddleboarding, which has become one of my favorite activities over the past few summers. It is an awesome workout.
- Sunday = beach day. Obviously sporting my Gilt City tote, I opted for tanning oil (Coppertone) with SPF10—need to take advantage of the dwindling summer sun (sorry Dr. Sobel)!