Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- Today was a fun day for me, because I made a MAJOR hair change. I dyed my unnatural-but-awesome red locks to an even more unnatural-but-awesome blonde. I've been seeing my girl Flores at Arrojo ever since she did
- On my way home, I stopped by McNally Jackson in Nolita to pick up some mags, including the September Issue of Bust, where I wrote a feature story, "The Invisible Woman."
- I spent all day Saturday hanging out with various friends are various locations, from Williamsburg, to dinner at Pok Pok on the LES (why had I never been here before?) and met up with friends at Cake Shop, a venue I've hardly visited since college. Even t
- On Sunday morning, my partner and I met up with my friend Susan, the co-founder of ModCloth, for brunch at Cafe Mogador in Williamsburg. Mogador is one of my favorite spots and we end up there at least every other week, especially if we have someon
- By the time the afternoon rolled around and the three of us opted for an impromptu visit to The Brooklyn Flea.
- Monday was a pretty boring, at-home work day. At home, I made a little DIY hair mask, mixing one raw egg and olive oil. I let it sit on my hair, wrapped in a plastic bag, as I worked all day at my desk. When I finally washed it out, my hair definitely loo
- Among my deskside duties was sampling Butter London's new Bespoke Color Collection, a line with cream eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascaras, lipsticks, glosses, and cream blush. My favorite products in the collection are the super high pigmented eyeline
- Another deskside activity is sampling BluePrintJuice's new flavors, my favorite of which is Kale Apple Lemon. Drinking green juices (fresh or cold pressed) has amazing benefits for the skin, and the new addition from BPC passes my taste test.
- After a showroom appointment at THINK PR, I took advantage of the good weather and leisurely walked to my next meeting: lunch at the Odeon in TriBeCa.
- As if finishing lunch with a chocolate mousse wasn't decadent enough, after the meeting I treated myself to a stop into drybar, across the street, and then a manicure a couple blocks north. As a Jewish-Iranian girl, I really wish I was the person w
- Finally, nails-done-hair-done-everything-did, Ali and I went to Nom Wah Tea Parlor in Chinatown, our favorite dim sum spot, then headed hom
- I'm not going to lie: I love when fun promos land on my desk. Today, it's celebrating Kate Spade's collaboration with French artist Darcel, with a fun nail polish duo, (perfectly timed with my self-treat of a
- After a fairly long work day (I'll spare you the boring details), my friend Jordan arrived in from Chicago. She was only going to be staying in Brooklyn with me for one night, before heading to The Hamptons to teach at Joe Zee and Rob Younkers' fashion ca
- Since I was going to be in a dark setting, I felt a little more adventurous with my eye makeup with the safety of less scrutiny. I've really been feeling blues-and-greens lately (especially cobalt eyeliner and mascara). I created a smokey-turquoise look u
- On Thursday morning, our bff-house-guest, Jordan and I, went to The Wythe Hotel's restaurant, Reynard, for brunch. I'm trying to make my few-days-old blowout from the drybar last.
- I freshened up my hair with Arrojo's Dry Shampoo, my curling iron, and a bit of 100 proof treatment oil on the ends. I set the 'do with drybar's "Money Maker" hairspray. I love the way it smells, and I use it interchangeably with the Moroccanoil hairspray
- After brunch, Jordan and I walked through Williamsburg and hit up some of her old favorite spots that she's been missing since she moved out to Chicago, including Catbird. Catbird is one of those stores that I have to actively avoid, otherwise I'll
- Friday morning, I took my pug Frankie out for a walk. We stopped at Juice Press in my neighborhood, a common part of our morning routine (and walk). I don't usually have my hair or makeup done when I take
- Later that day, I headed into the city to shoot with Stylecaster and Phil Oh (aka Mr. Street Peeper) for Stylecaster's Most Stylish New Yorkers round-up. I'm not sure how I ended up on their list, honestly, but once they told me I was in the company of Li
- I went to town with a full face of makeup: Hourglass Immaculate Foundation (it goes on really matte, which I love), Make Up For Ever Invisible Cover Concealer, NARS Blush in New Order, M.A.C. Haute & Naughty Mascara, Cliniqu
- I slipped the ban.do bobby pins from Catbird into my hair, et voila. I can't believe it takes that much shit to only make me look normal.
While Nicolette Mason runs a well-followed personal style blog, calling the LA native (who now calls Williamsburg home) "a blogger" would be an unjust understatement. The Parsons grad also pens a column for Marie Claire, hosts a series on HelloStyle, and consults for brands that run the gamut from Interscope Records to Christian Dior. She's also mama to a pug with its own Instagram account.
Nicolette gave us a glimpse into her week of beauty which included a radical dye job at Arrojo, a sneak peek of a new collection from Butter London, and the liquid liner that "is without a doubt my all time favorite ever beauty product, ever, and I'm sure that I would die if it were ever discontinued." Click the image above to pull the curtain in the ins and outs of this busy Brooklynite's life, beginning with a lazy day at the Brooklyn Flea and ending in a glam Phil Oh-lensed photoshoot.
· Nicolette Mason [Official Site]
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]