Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
There is a certain amount of modesty one might want to protect when hustling from the subway to a rooftop pool. Lacey and sheer coverups won't do on the streets of the city, but you don't want to show up to the pool—or the Rockabus—in your usual summer garb.
Enter the city-ready caftan: less Kris Jenner vacationing in Mexico and a little more, "this is just my cute dress that happens to have a bikini underneath." After the jump, find twelve options for your consideration, from an embroidered Calypso maxi to a colorful striped tank dress you can pick up at Old Hollywood.
- Limonada Kaftan Canvas in Yellow, $379 at Pesca
- Oscar de la Renta Bora Bora Impressions Tunic, $168 at Bloomingdale's
- Calypso Kelidra Cotton Embroidered Caftan, $275
- La Blanca Boatneck Striped Tunic Swimsuit Cover Up, $65 at Bloomingdale's
- Vix Swimwear Helen Tunic, $154 at Everything But Water
- Malia Mills Tatiana Tunic in White, $295
- Zimmerman Allure Slouch Tuck Dress, $440 at Zimmerman
- Mara Hoffman Pow Wow Caftan, $286 at Everything But Water
- Zinke Zoe Convertible Dress, $215 at Azaleas
- Lifetime Tamarindo Dress, $88 at Old Hollywood
- Tommy Bahama Marina Stripe Boyfriend Shirt Swimsuit Cover Up,
- Mikoh Mavericks Dress in Swell Lines, $195 at Atrium