Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- My mornings always start with our Soy Face Cleanser—it's my desert island product! At Fresh we believe good skin starts with clean skin. It's important to use a cleanser that won't dry out your complexion during the cold weather months. This one is
It’s tough to live between two cities when styling your hair, especially when your favorite hair colorist is in Boston and your favorite hair stylist is in New York!
Haircare tip: The flat brush is better to maximize the volume and minimize the frizz,
- Winter skincare requires good nutrition to go along with it. The refrigerator is empty and I’m lucky to have Chelsea Market close by my apartment. Choose your greens for hydration and extra antioxidant protection.
- On the way to the office, I stop by the Fresh Union Square flagship store to check out the new holiday windows. This is my first view of our Sugar Lip Treatment Holiday Tree—"good" sweets for the lips!
- This is the receiving desk at Fresh for all the laboratory samples of future products (future obsessions). We had a really exciting marketing development meeting to check on all the new products for the next three years.
- My favorite Fresh PR Director's desk! We discussed our trip to China last month and her new habit of desk-side tea brewing—a good idea to boost up on extra antioxidants and tannins at the time when your body needs it the most. If you can, grab loose tea r
- Winter is officially here! Mask, mask, mask this morning.
- A warm, hearty breakfast on the cold morning today! What to do with some two-day old bread, overripe banana, leftover fresh cranberries, raw almonds and few drops of extra virgin olive oil!
- I'm spending the day looking at new window installations at holidays, which is always fun. Now that Fresh is done, it’s always fun to look at what other shops are doing. I discovered this toiletry bag at Urban Outfitters. It holds my daily essentia
- Only walking the New York streets would you see the secrets of fabulous shop windows. This is how a paper mâché bull gets his fur coat.
- Starting the morning with flowers—it’s a friend’s birthday today. This gorgeous Polux flower shop is inside the new Club Monaco flagship! They did a great job on the renovation.
- Hand cream is a must in the purse on these colder days. Mine is a "vintage" Fresh. Everyone always uses age delay creams for their face but we forget our hands, which actually show age first. We’re working on a new product in this area but I’m still attac
- Happy holidays! Need to do some more work on my holiday list this evening.
- I love getting vitamins and nutrients from my diet. I stock up on seeds and nuts at Nutbox to boost omegas, necessary minerals, and fiber.
- I'm kicking off the winter season by discovering new spices and gaining a little inspiration for a dinner party I'm throwing next weekend. Spices let the true flavors of food come out, and they jumpstart circulation!
- Another beauty staple: TEAS! My recipe is black tea inside and out—I use our Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask and our new Black Tea Age-Delay Serum.
- Music is an essential part of my life. I supervise all music programming for Fresh stores and it’s always fun to discover new talent. New York is a great source.
- Here is my new palette for smokey eyes this autumn, all in luxurious shimmering metallic neutrals. I love how the shimmer reflects life around women’s eyes and puts it in a beautiful setting like a jewel. I love burnished metals because they look more sop
- Winter lips need extra richness. This is the real bespoke solution—be your own alchemist. Here is my process: Take your favorite Sugar Lip Treatment colors and blend together with your bolder lipsticks to create a rich pigment. Slice them together in a ce
With over twenty years in the natural beauty category, Fresh co-founder Alina Roytberg knows a thing or two about surviving winter with glowing skin and hydrated lips. In her week-long beauty diary, Alina shares a few simple things to add to your diet for great skin, a DIY lip laquer for impactful color that won't dry lips out, and the real place you should be using age-defying creams.
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]