Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- I always teach two classes Sunday mornings at SoulCycle, so I have to kick-start my day with a small, yet nutritious breakfast. Today it was coffee and cereal with blueberries. I like Barbara's multigrain shredded spoonfuls and add the blueb
- My parents were in town for the holiday weekend. Whenever they visit my dad always takes my class. This weekend in particular he took both of my 90 minute Turkey Burn rides, a 60 minute Soul Survivor, and a 45 minute class. I guess the apple doesn't fall
- I never leave home without my "post-class kit." Since I spend most of my days sweating and it's not always convenient to go home to shower, I have this so I can quickly shower at the studio. My kit has Kiehl's Ultra Facial cleanser and moisturizer
- I love Mondays, because I usually only teach 1 or 2 classes in the am, then spend the rest of the day in "recovery mode." When you are as physical as I am, the KEY to staying fresh and feeling beautiful is balance. I do this through yoga and strive to tak
- Next it's off to the grocery store to stock up for the week. I'm in a major cooking phase right now and have been having a ton of fun experimenting with recipes and hosting friends for dinner! My essentials are tons of veggies (kale, spinach, arugula, gre
- My secret weapon to tackling sore muscles and minimizing stress, is a good ol' soak in the tub. Once or twice a week I fill up the bath with Epsom Salt, lavender essential oil, and bubbles to decompress from the world. I light a couple Anthropol
- Tuesday starts for me at 4:30am sharp. My alarm goes off and I usually don't even have to hit snooze once, because I know the SoulCycle 63rd Street Roosters are waiting for me! First thing I do when I get up is wash my face and moisturize with Kieh
- To say I drink a ton of water would be an understatement. As a SoulCycle instructor I sweat A LOT, so it's incredibly important when I'm not teaching to continuously hydrate. I used to get headaches after class and I realized it was because I was focusing
- At the end of a long day, it would be so easy to plop on the couch and order take out. Instead, I took 30 minutes and whipped this up. Rinse some arugula and put two to three beets in a pot of boiling water on the stove. While the beets are boiling drizzl
- One of the perks of working in fitness is that I lead a sort of unconventional life. Most people have the weekends to sleep in and relax, but for me, hump day is my Saturday. To be honest, sleep is the best remedy and beauty tip that I know of! If I don't
- My favorite day off ritual has always been getting a mani/pedi. Since I have a lot of holiday parties coming up, I decided to go with something festive and fun, yet classic. I chose Penny Talk by Essie for my toes and a matching Shellac co
- I absolutely adore the holiday season in New York City. Ice skating in Bryant Park, watching the Rockettes, shopping the holiday markets, I do it all! Today I decided it was time to deck the halls of my apartment, so I went out and bought my
- I teach at SoulCycle and Physique 57 , plus personal training so some days are absolutely non-stop. Today was one of those days and Ole Henrickson cleansing wipes are a lifesaver. Keep them in your bag for in between workouts so you never ha
- On the busiest of days what fuel goes in is incredibly important. When I teach a lot, I don't have a huge appetite so I reach for something that is light but valuable. I stopped by Dig Inn for a late morning boost. The green juice is filled with to
- Tonight I had a few friends over for dinner and to watch The Sound of Music Live on ABC...dorky, yes, ashamed, no. I ran home between teaching and made a batch of gluten-free chicken noodle soup and threw it in the crock pot. I've been utilizing my
- On the rainy and cold days I love to bust out my yellow Hunter rain boots. I call them my sunshine on a cloudy day! And of course, no rainy day is complete without my SoulCycle umbrella :)
- To celebrate my BFF's birthday a few of my friends and I had dinner at WILD pizza in the West Village . I learned about this restaurant from reading the book Do Cool Sh*t. The author, Mikki Agrawal, is the owner of this gluten-
- On a night out, my go to is Fresh Sugar Berry tinted lip treatment. Since I'm usually sans makeup during a full day of teaching, its fun for me to throw on a pop of color before I head out for the night. It also feels great on and smells good too!
- I have been using Estee Lauder Sumptuous Mascara for years and love it! I always get compliments and people think I have eyelash extensions.
- My days are usually filled with moisture wicking clothing, sneakers, and a top knot, but tonight I got to hang up my Lulus and bust out my big girl shoes and dress for The Physique 57 holiday party at Lavo. Gucci pumps, Alice and Olivia
- Growing up as a dancer, I was the queen of putting on makeup. So when I have an event to go to I love to do my hair and makeup myself. Tonight I made my smoky eyes using MAC paint pot in Painterly, shadow in Kid and Blackberry, and liner in Graphbl
- Here I am with the co-founders of Physique 57, Tanya Becker and Jennifer Maanavi at the holiday party. I had such a great time dancing and celebrating the night away, but not too late since a 9:30 am Soul Survivor class awaits me tomorrow m
Emily Turner is a fitness triple threat, teaching classes at both SoulCycle and Physique 57 as well as training personal clients. She comes to the world of hard bodies and grueling sweat sessions through dance, which she did professionally. Beyond an obvious addiction to a good workout, years of dancing on stage left Emily with a love for makeup—she did her own as a dancer.
In her week of back-to-back SoulCycle rides, the Physique 57 holiday party, and a visit from her parents, Emily manages to fuel up the right way (hint: it's not cookies in festive shapes), shares the mascara that makes people ask her if she gets eyelash extensions, and even decks the halls (of her apartment).
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]
· SoulCycle Instructor: Correct Form Will 'Change Your Body' [Racked NY]