Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- Good morning 5:40am! New week—let’s do this. I’m up early everyday for training sessions, so my morning routine has to be quick and easy. I’m hooked on the microbeads in this face scrub. It feels amazingly fresh.
- Stopped by Broadway Dance Center for some yoga and ballet today. I also love their jazz, theater, and hip hop classes. Dance has always been such a big part of my life. I just love it, and I’m gonna keep on dancin’.
- Eating on the go today—Juice Generation on Ninth Avenue. Today I went with the Amazing Green Bowl—I can always use more greens in my life. Fueled up and ready for more EMpowered personal training sessions!
- As the weather starts to get colder, this little guy lives in my backpack (or purse). Dry skin—ain’t nobody got time for that.
- Trying out a new on-the-go snack, Greens Plus energy bar. I liked it! Organic superfoods, healthy fat, and 10g protein. I’ll be buying this again.
- My pre-workout routine always consists of five to ten minutes of foam rolling. I am slightly obsessed with The Grid by Trigger Point Therapy because it has different densities o
- Surprise delivery when I got back from the gym—my 15Love clothes arrived!! I am one of their Trainers We Love and I’m excited to rock the gear. It is so we
- My favorite reusable water bottle. I carry this everywhere, keeping me hydrated and energized. Plus, I love anything that is brightly colored.
- Excited to workout in some new fitness gear today by Tasc Performance, a New Orleans0based company. The clothes are made of bamboo and organic cotton, and the fabric feels SO SOFT and lightweight. The na
- I was feeling creative, so I whipped up a Tasc Performance-inspired workout: two circuits, each three times through. Fun, sweaty, and the clothes felt fantastic!! I’m now a Tasc fan.
- Yes, I know these shoes look crazy, but I LOVE my Vibrams! Barefoot training is so beneficial for the body, and once you make the switch you won’t want to
- I started a meditation challenge this month (this is day 14) and I am completely hooked. I have never felt such calming energy and focus as I do after I meditate. It’s so legit! Beauty from within. Try it and you’ll see what I mean…
- Time for some post-shower Aveda Phomollient to add a little volume to my hair. Not to mention it smells amazing!!
- Which lips to wear for my evening out? Winterberry, Raspberry Tea, Or Star Dahlia? Oh decisions, decisions...
- The holidays are here!! Starbucks red cups and a morning coffee date with my husband. My go-to is a tall 1/2 caff coffee (1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular). I’m pretty energetic on my own so any more caffeine and I might explode.
- My favorite gym accessory, the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. I love knowing my heart rate when I exercise, allowing me to train smarter and keep the intensity high throughout. Great tool for motivation and accountability. Plus, it feels like a game
- Non-dairy post workout shake. I mix these two proteins in the green blender bottle and add unsweetened almond milk. Delicious and easy.
- Tis the season for holiday shopping and decoration admiring. Macy’s is a classic.
- It's a coffee lover's heaven at Oren's Daily Roast in my neighborhood—so many options!
- Happy Saturday to me—green juice and football! And what an amazing game! I love watching sports. The athleticism is insane and always inspiring. And this BluePrint green juice is so refreshing you can practically taste the nutrients.
- I hate how I see the sun less in the winter. This tinted moisturizer helps to keep a little color on my face. Thank goodness for Aveda.
- Sunday afternoon at the theater with the She’s the First founders and fellow dream team members! EMpowered donates 10% of every training session to STF, sponsoring girls’ education. I'm grateful for this organization and great group of women.
- Monique Coleman is a big girls’ education supporter, and I was excited to meet her after her performance in “The Maids.” She is such a genuine sweetheart! And she had killer red boots on.
Emily Cook Harris won 2013's Hottest Trainer Competition this summer in a colossal throwdown that was nothing short of fervent (lesson learned: people are passionate about their fitness instructors). We caught up with the fit blonde—whose company EMpowered donates 10% of proceeds to the girls' education nonprofit She's the First—for the inside scoop on what she does to be so, well, hot.
In her diary, Emily exposes the drugstore face scrub that make her super early mornings simple, her version of fast food, and makes the case for toe shoes (cue the universal groan).
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]
· Emily Cook Harris of EMpowered Is the Hottest Trainer in NYC [Racked NY]