Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Suzy Menkes scored a rare interview with 71-year-old Comme des Garçons designer Rei Kawakubo in advance of New York's Dover Street Market, which opens December 21st. In the interview—translated from Japanese by Adrian Joffe, Rei's husband and the company's CEO—the designer pulled back the curtain on the hotly anticipated store.
After the jump, we've broken down the vital points on Dover Street Market New York, plus a note on what's going on with the Comme des Garçons Chelsea flagship.
1. The store will be seven stories high, covering 18,000 square feet of a building that was originally a school.
2. A transparent elevator will run through the middle of those seven stories, while three pillars decorated by artists will run vertically through six of the floors.
3. There will be a Louis Vuitton pop-up shop on the main floor near the entrance, open for three months.
4. The seventh floor will house a Prada shop with a special collection created just for Dover Street Market New York, featuring "iconic shapes in new materials and classic prints from 20 years ago."
5. Meanwhile, the fourth floor is called the Energy Showroom and features an incubation area with small, customized spaces for young designers.
6. As far as interior design goes, there is a "no-rule, beautiful chaos feeling... In contrast to New York itself I wanted to design it with extreme simplicity, unsophisticated, almost primitive, and with naïve artlessness."
7. To that end, the store will not be merchandise by category, gender, lifestyle, or age.
8. But there's a bakery! It's French, it's called Rose Bakery, and it will be on the first floor and mezzanine (it's the same bakery as in the London and Tokyo stores).
9. Throughout the store, music from Brooklyn's Calx Vive will play from various sculptures.
10. All 15 CDG brands will be sold in the store, in addition to this epic lineup
Meanwhile, in Chelsea, the store is getting a golden makeover. Rei explains: "I know that when babies are given the choice of colors, they often choose gold. So in this spirit of gold being the most enjoyable color, I have transformed the existing space and architecture." Expect to find golden tree sculptures as well as non-CDG merchandise, including Meadham Kirchoff and Zana Bayne.
· Fashion's Purest Visionary [T]
· Comme des Garçons' Dover Street Market Has An Opening Date! [Racked NY]
· All Dover Street Market New York news [Racked NY]