Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- I'm always in a rush. My secret to looking "done" is mascara and a red lip. These Nars pencils are amazing: the colors are great and they stay on all day.
- Loving these Givenchy sneakers right now—they are cool and comfortable. I would love to wear heels to work every day, but standing for 12 hours is a killer.
- My obsession—so unhealthy and expensive. I sit online late at night and next day I get all these presents. Well, I think they're presents until I get my AmEx bill!
- My morning ritual is have a cup of tea in this fancy, very old china teacup.
- I use this Shu Uemura shampoo at home. It's super moisturizing but light.
- This color palate is amazing—easy to use and great packaging to boot.
- I just got this Celine bag and I love it—it's lightweight and it came with a small clutch. I bought another organizer to match. I adore the three colors together.
- Here's what I use for quick morning makeup before getting to the salon.
- My everyday tools include this brush set and flatiron. Perfect hair day starts here!
- The BEST treatment. I like to sleep with it over night, then wash out in the morning.
- I love to mix up a cocktail at home after work.
- I just got this makeup organizer called the “icebox.” It’s the best thing because now my dressing table is neat and clean with all my makeup tucked away.
- I like to get manicures every week. I always change it up. This week it was nail art.
- Right now I love this Essie color. It’s not a new one, but I like it because it’s a bluish-gray color and it's neutral—not too dark or light, just perfect for fall.
- My all time favorite scent. It’s my trademark now—when people smell it they know I’m coming!
- This is a great finishing spray, perfect for keeping my flyaways in check.
- This Oribe product is like glue—I love it. If you want to slick your hair back it won’t move.
- My monthly facial is a must.
- The only thing in life I need is as much as air is black eyeliner. I live, love, lust black eyeliner.
- This Serge Lutens lip palette is insane—great colors and so silky on the lips.
- Who doesn't love Diptyque's Baies?
- All of my bathrooms are stocked with Jo Malone hand soap and lotion. My guests always walk out of the bathrooms and comment how nice it smells!
- These crystals are supposed to allow only good energy in my home.
- This body scrub is amazing and smells soo good. It's so moisturizing you don’t even have to use lotion after.
This week, colorist-to-the-stars slash salon owner Rita Hazan let us in on her personal favorites for hair, makeup, and more. When she's not managing the hair hues of Beyonce or Katy Perry, you'll find her trolling Net-a-Porter ("I sit online late and night and next day I get all these presents. Well, I think they're presents until I get my AmEx bill!") and trying to keep up with the city's never-ending new restaurants. Click through for Rita's secret for keeping flyaways in check, the shoes that get her though 12 hour days on foot, and more.
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]