Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In case you missed yesterday's H&M bombshell, allow us to get you up to speed: the Swedish retailer has employed Lady Gaga to host the opening of their 42,000-square-foot Times Square flagship (yep, the one at the base of the Conde Nast building with the skyline-altering LED panels at the top of the building). Gaga will open the store no earlier than 12:01am Thursday which is the same day the Isabel Marant collab launches.
It's dizzying, so we've put together an easily digestible list of the nine essential points to know about the opening, Gaga's role, how it impacts the Isabel Marant launch, and some facts on the store's wild technological innovations.
1. The store opens at 12:01 am Thursday with Lady Gaga hosting. Gaga is expected to be "wearing some semblance of H&M," and will "interact with customers and shop at the store for several hours." "She's an artist, she's going to make some noise," H&M's North American president, Daniel Kulle, told WWD.
2. The first 1,000 people in line will receive an "Access to Fashion Pass," valued between $10 and $1,000. There will be additional opening day offers rotating every hour with deals like $30 off ever $100 and buy one get one styles.
3. Due to the celebratory opening time, H&M Times Square will be the first store worldwide to debut the Isabel Marant Pour H&M collection to the public. Important note: H&M reps have not announced what time, exactly, that will be.
4. The store's 45th floor screens will be lit in a "New Year's Eve-style countdown" to the store opening. "We're going to dominate the Manhattan skyline," Kulle said.
5. The store will feature try and buy, allowing customers to pay for purchases in the dressing room area. The second and third floor fitting rooms are equipped with iPad stations and benches. There are a total of 44 fitting rooms storewide.
6. Another technological boast is the customer-driven digital runway. Shoppers select an outfit, enter their e-mail address into a computer, and then strut. The "model" is provided the time that their image will be on view inside and outside. The store has over 7,000 square feed of LED screens.
7. Other showpieces include a three-story glitter wall, DJ booth, and hanging mannequins. Oh, and a carousel display.
8. Accessories, shoes, and an expanded cosmetics line are on the ground floor, women's is on the second floor, and men's and kids are on the third floor.
9. The store's regular hours of operation will be 9am to 1am, seven days a week.
· H&M Opening High-Tech Flagship in Times Square [WWD]
· H&M. Times Square. Lady Gaga. The Isabel Marant Collab [Racked NY]
· The Ultimate Guide to the Isabel Marant for H&M Launch [Racked NY]