Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Racked's first annual Travel Week. Over the next five days, roughly half of our content will be devoted to everything you need to know about traveling to and from New York City—whether you're entertaining out-of-towners, killing time at the airport, or planning the ultimate staycation.
- Pilgrim Surf + Supply. Photo by Brian Harkin.
- Year-Round Swimwear: The Upper East Side is rich with swimwear options: mall chain Everything But Water (pictured) recently opened there, plus Pesca, Vilebrequin and Canyon Beachwear are in the 'hood, and Malia Mills<
- Cover-Ups and Caftans: Calypso St Barth owns the caftan arena, and they know it. With no fewer than six apparel locations in Manhattan (Nolita pictured), you
- Surf Stops: There is, for whatever reason, no shortage of surfer retail in NYC. Patagonia Surf is the newest of the bunch, having recently opened on the Bowery. Old standbys in the category include Pilgrim Surf + Supply (pictur
- Big Ol' Beachbag: Baggu in Williamsburg (pictured) could probably lug your entire vacation: they have laptop cases, colorful canvas and nylon sacks in all sizes, a specially-desig
- Because Squinting = Wrinkles: While just about any trend-focused retailer stocks sunglasses year-round (Urban Outfitters, H&M, Forever 21) at under $20 a pop, you're going to want to splurge on a polarized pair if you're near the water—Warby Par
So you've booked yourself a seaside getaway and we're months from retail bikini season. Fret not, beach bunny: there are a handful of stores that specialize in year-round swimwear and other waterfront necessities (caftans, boogie boards). We've sniffed out the best spots to shop for a beach vacation any time of the year, tackling swimwear, resortwear, surf gear, sunglasses, and beach bags.