Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- It's Monday which means I'm not quite ready. I run out the door at 9am clutching Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat for my undereyes. I immediately look like I slept three hours more than I did.
- I have a five month old baby and two businesses, so it's a juggling game. Today I'm at the MCMC Fragrances studio. MCMC Fragrances is a line of handmade fragrances I founded it in 2010. We're la
- Yay, dinner with the girls. Helen, Jennifer, Lisa and I are trying the new restaurant Glasserie in Greenpoint. I sort of don't leave my neighborhood. I love it here!
- A clothing line wants to shoot my sister (aka my MCMC Fragrances coworker) and I as "real life" models. They bring a hair and makeup crew!
- This is my sister Katie hamming it up in our studio.
- Later that day I get a special delivery. Sarah Tay comes and drops off some goodies from her new skincare line, Tay. The packaging is so gorgeous! I daydream about throwing everything else on my bathroom shelf away
- I saw this flower on the way to work today. How is this even possible? It's so beautiful!
- As the fragrance curator of Bergamot, the perfume subscription service I launched last month with two friends, I smell every perfume I can. I'm always thinking about what themes are coming up (October is Indian Su
- A rare city day! I pop into Sephora in Union Square and spend some time smelling perfumes. The packaging on this Balenciaga fragrance catches my eye.
- Even though it's getting chilly, my husband and I decide to eat dinner on the roof. We have a garden and I pick edible nasturtium flowers.
- I meet Yosh, a perfumer visiting from San Francisco, at the Bergamot HQ (also in Greenpoint!). Yosh's Ginger Ciao is featured in the October subscription box.
- She reads my aura for a video which will be featured on our online Journal. This is definitely the highlight of my week.
- Tocca has sent over a set of samples. I take the box home so I can smell them on my skin slowly over the weekend. Perfume really has to sit on the skin for a couple of hours for you to know how it blooms.
- My husband inspired the original Dude No. 1 Beard Oil. I bring him a bottle of the new Dude No. 1 All-Natural Cologne to test-drive before the official launch ne
- Some friends want to go out to lunch but restaurants can be tricky with a baby. With the beautiful weather, we decide to go to Smorgasburg. It's packed!
- Sundays are my favorite day of the week. It's such a relaxing day and I like to spend it at home cooking, cleaning, and ahem, grooming. There are two products I can't live without. Kai body butter and rosewater (I get it at Whole Foods). I k
- I make almond-flour coconut cranberry cookies and call it a week.
This week's beauty diary is by way of Anne Serrano-McClain, founder of MCMC Fragrances and co-founder of new boutique perfume subscription service Bergamot. If you think running two beauty businesses keeps her busy, tack a five-month-old baby boy on to that. Yeah, the woman stays occupied.
In seven days, Anne shares the product that makes her look like she's gotten more sleep than she actually has (#newmomproblems), discovers a skincare line that leads her to consider dumping everything else, and makes the case for never leaving Greenpoint.
· All Beauty Diary posts [Racked NY]