Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Nicole Miller Golden Galaxy Dress, $75 rental
- (from left) Halston Heritage Silver Spark clutch, $40; Halston Heritage Gravel Clutch, $40; Halston Heritage Bronze Snake clutch, $40
- Philosophy Di Alberta Ferretti Persephone Lust gown, $160 rental
- Cushnie et Ochs Make it Count dress, $250 rental
- Plein Sud Caged in Gown, $210 rental
- Badgley Mischka dress, $165 rental
- Kate Spade Disco Pansy Bib, $45 rental
Rent the Runway will officially debut a new showroom tomorrow at Henri Bendel, located on the second floor of the Fifth Avenue store. (The online rental site also has a showroom on Varick Street in Tribeca that accommodates local appointments.) For those anxious about picking out a dress for your bachelorette party or friend's wedding online, now there's the option to do so in Midtown.
Before we headed over there this afternoon, we created an online profile and browsed the inventory, then added six options to a "virtual fitting room." Once you arrive at the showroom for your appointment, you'll get a one-on-one style consultation with one of their pros. The fitting room was already equipped with the pre-picked styles, plus a few others that were chosen based off the info in the user profile.
Rent the Runway's co-founder Jennifer Hyman was on hand to talk about the new space, and explained: "The Rent the Runway girl doesn't want to spend her time looking for a dress—she'd rather spend that time with friends or family." As to why they picked Bendel, Hyman referenced the store's makeup, accessories, and customer service.—Esther Levy-Chehebar
· Here's What It's Like Renting From Rent the Runway's Showroom [Racked NY]
· All Rent the Runway Coverage [Racked NY]