Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Now that it's officially weekend day-trip season, let's talk about what's new at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets. One of the largest collections of designer outlets in the world, the upscale mall (more like a mini-village) boasts 220 stores, including Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, Burberry, Dior, Jimmy Choo, and Marni.
Of course, outlet malls are always hit-or-miss, and some of the prices here won't necessarily qualify as "deals" for most of us—see, for example, the Burberry trench marked down from $2,565 to $1,555. But if you want to treat yourself and splurge a bit, the selection of luxury items is pretty decent right now. Here's what we found on a recent visit. (Disclosure: Transportation was provided by Woodbury Common.)
The Barneys outlet
You know those super-cozy zip-up jackets that come in just about every color possible? Well, you can find them here for a whole $2 off the retail price of $46. A better deal: The printed cotton spandex jersey double-U dress is $28, normally $40. Jewelry and swimwear are really the only things on sale at 50% off, but who goes to American Apparel for those?
BARNEYS NEW YORK OUTLET
Lots of great deals here, and the sales associates are really friendly. Helmut Lang bags are 50% off , and red-lined items are 60% off red-lined items, which means a pair of Opening Ceremony fitted trousers are $51.60 and a black leather Rodarte skirt is $127.60. The selection of red-lined denim includes J. Brand, Genetics, James Jeans, Seven and Rag +Bone. Also, Lanvin shoes go for roughly $300.
BCBG MAX AZRIA
Here, you'll find lots of dresses to get you through wedding season. We saw many that were marked 50% off of prices like $279. Also, dress shirts are 50% off. Look for lots of BCBG Generation as well. We found an adorable nude tulle skirt for $166.60 down from $238—a bit unnecessary but totally worth it.
25% off denim going on right now, with some pairs marked down all the way to 60% off. It all depends on the style and wash. We found one pair that started at $190, now priced at $76.
Success outside the Coach outlet
It's like a grown-up toy store stocked with candy-colored bags that are half-off $365. Wallets are 40% off—so a wallet with an outlet price of $165 ends up being $100. Also, if you're still looking to rock the neon trend, there are plenty of different accessory options to choose from.
Five-inch inseam shorts are 30% off at $34.65, three-inch inseam shorts are $19.99, and both styles come in a variety of colors, including neon pink. You can take $5 to $10 off certain items around the store (they are marked accordingly). Ribbed "favorite" tanks are $8.99 (retail $16.99), the skimmer pant is $34.99 down from $59.50, and most skirts are 40% off the ticket price of $59.50. Other deals: 30% off "perfect" shirts, plus crew neck tees are $12.99. You'll find similar pricing for menswear, including 40% off Oxford shirts from $49.50. And if that's not enough, all the clearance is an additional 40% off.
Men's and women's jeans, like the Briton and Muse fits, are $99.99, originally $158.
LAST CALL BY NEIMAN MARCUS
In terms of the department store outlets, this is our pick for the best of the bunch. You'll find lots of contemporary womenswear, as well as marked-down accessories and an excellent selection of shoes. Blue-stickered clearance items are 50% off, like the Marc Jacobs heart bag for $232.50 (outlet price was $465).
SAKS FIFTH AVENUE OFF FIFTH
Another favorite, Off Fifth has a giant selection of handbags and accessories from names like Rebecca Minkoff and Marc by Marc Jacobs. The deals aren't anything to get too excited about, but the selection is enormous and the clearance is dirt cheap.
The line outside Tory Burch
This spot was crowded when we visited, especially near the shoes (no surprise there). We were able to walk right in, but we noticed on our way out that a line had formed outside the entrance. Reva flats in a handful of basic colors were about 40% off the regular prices, but only available in especially small and large sizes. As far as the bags and accessories go, a silver metallic wallet was $164, while the Reva clutch was $212, down from $250.
YVES SAINT LAURENT
Sure, it's pricey, but we couldn't resist taking a peek. Tributes are $769—way more expensive than at the sample sale. Myranda shoes are $549 and suede pumps are $399. Larger wallets are $409, while small wallets are $250. There are no real deals on ready-to-wear, and many of the accessories are still so expensive that they might as well not be on sale at all. A pretty pearl Arty ring was $419, while one of the Roady bags we found was $1,119 down from $1,595.
The incoming Tom Ford outlet
Four final tips:
1) Almost every designer store here is currently selling their own version of stylish cases for the iPhone, iPad, and other types of electronic devices. This is the place to outfit your devices at a discount.
2) This spring has seen a few new arrivals. Reed Krakoff debuted May 25, and Vera Bradley also recently launched. Insider tip: shop on your birthday and let the staff know to receive a complimentary gift.
3) Tom Ford is scheduled to launch July 7, though we hear it will actually open a day early on the 6th. Other new openings on the calender: Ilori will debut July 13, Canali will arrive later this summer, Loft Outlet is slated to open August 2012, and Breitling is expected for November. Jack Spade is also on the calendar, with a launch planned for sometime in 2013. And J.Crew plans to move into a larger space.
4) If you join the Free VIP Shopper Club, you'll receive additional savings, online coupons, and insider news. Also, upon signing up, you'll receive a voucher for a VIP coupon book with loads of additional savings that can be used at any Premium Outlets center. The Fourth of July sale is coming up, so be sure to check out the center's official site for store hours as well as new stores, sale listings and other special events.
· A Tom Ford Outlet Is Coming To Woodbury common [Racked NY]
· How to Survive Black Friday at Woodbury Common [Racked NY]
· Woodbury Common [Official Site]