Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Shops Illustrated, a Racked feature in which artist Jennifer Hoyden sketches New York City stores. For each entry, she'll draw a street view, an interior look, and some items currently hanging on the racks.
- Left: The Tunis bag, in orange and bone, starting at $295. Right: The Allen bag, in bone, starting at $325.
- Left: The Oslo bag, in fuchsia, starting at $275. The Lola clutch, in Rosso, starting at $225.
- Bottom left to top right: Bee, Petra and Kim sandals, $255-$270. Namur belt, in mustard, $150-$210. JB belt with ring buckle, in kelly green, $190-$249. Morgan sandal, in apple green, starting at $285.
Head over to the East Village, and then walk some more. Keep walking until you come to Jutta Neumann, where Jutta herself hand-makes everything that she sells. Pass through her work room to enter a very small, very full shop bursting with colorful, creamy leather bags, belts, wallets and sandals. If you don't see what you are looking for (hard to imagine!), then order your dream bag with a custom strap, in any color you want. When it needs repair, after constant wear, bring it back to the hands that made it. Warning: This may become habit-forming.
· Jutta Neumann [Official Site]
· All Shops Illustrated posts [Racked NY]