Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Where the Steve Madden and Superga will open at 78 Crosby Street.
- How Steve looks from behind at 78 Crosby today.
- The plan for the Superga boutique at 78 Crosby Street.
- The new face for Steve Madden at 540 Broadway in Soho.
- How Steve is aging on Broadway.
- After the planned facelift.
- The plan to remake Steve Madden at 540 Broadway.
- Old Soho, with 540 Broadway at center left.
- Drafting Superga.
- Steve looking gritty from the rear on Crosby.
- When the freight entry at 78 Crosby was an easel for street art.
- Opening up Crosby Street for retail.
The Steve Madden store at 540 Broadway, smack dab in the middle of the Soho shopping mall, is getting a face lift. It's all part of the plan to open a second boutique to the rear at 78 Crosby Street. The new shop, currently the freight entry for the Broadway store, will get stripped of bricks and have a historic restoration to become a Superga outlet, a new place to purchase sneakers as imagined by the Olsen twins.
Did you get all that? Some background: Madden and the Olsens teamed up last year when Mary-Kate and Ashley were tapped to become creative directors of Superga, with one goal to get goodies into specialty boutiques. The twins are now showing off some of their latest ideas for chic shoes, including versions in cashmere and linen, which should wear really well on the gritty streets of downtown.
For the ragged front of the Broadway store, the plan is to reform the facade and clean things up. This new look fits right in with the recent opening of a big store at Fifth and 42nd, where the interior is covered in gold leaf and graffiti. That artsy angle might be of little solace to street artists who have long used Madden's back door as an easel to express themselves. Once the Superga gets going that option will be gone, as will the opportunity for Uniqlo Soho associates who use Madden's stoop to sneak a smoke.
· Random: The Olsens to Become Creative Directors of Superga [Racked]
· Leave It To The Olsens To Design Cashmere Tennis Shoes: The Row For Superga Is Here [She Finds]
· Steve Madden Gets a Brand New Fifth Avenue Store [Racked NY]