- The scene
- The cake!
- How guests ate the anniversary cake: individual, sparkly bites
- Sir Paul Smith poses for pics
- Pretty boys carrying Moet & Chandon
- Forget the shoes; it's all about the socks
- Yes, this guest is wearing different color shoes. And we don't hate it.
- Limited edition NYC 5th Avenue wallets
- Limited edition NYC 5th Ave Anniversary shirt
25 years. Twenty-five years. It's an impressive length of time for a brand to hold down a successful store in New York City, but it's also a damned long time to be in a single place, as Paul Smith has been at 108 Fifth Avenue since 1987.
Sir Paul celebrated the milestone with Moet last night, surrounded by friends, devoted customers, and of course the fashion flock. We ran into red hair twice during the evening: Grace Coddington and Patricia Field. Smith then blew out the anniversary cake candles with Patti Smith, Norman Reedus ("That guy from 'The Boondock Saints'"), Linda Fargo, Simon Doonan, Glenda Bailey, Mick Rock, Kate Schelter, Patrick McDonald, and a sea of others unafraid to mix patterns, three-piece suits and sparkling Union Jack cufflinks.
Though the night is over, the party continues on for the rest of the year with an in-store (and, currently, in-window) retrospective of Smith's memorable designs, plus a special capsule collection of green apple-bedecked items on a field of blue, exclusive to the Fifth Avenue location. Check out the signature vest ($420) and gold-plated, currency note-stuffed cufflinks ($325), or just splurge on a T-shirt, but would Sir Paul think of that?
· A Fashion Retail Architect Picks His Ten Favorite NY Stores [Racked NY]