Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Cold Picnic emergency blanket, $96
- A Thousand Picnics room spray, $18 ($15 for refills)
- A Thousand Picnics "crochetman" tee, $30
- Species by the Thousands Vertebra bolo tie, $140
- Species by the Thousands pendulum necklace, $130
- Species by the Thousands soy candle, $26
- Species by the Thousands beard pillow, $60
- Cold Picnic printed watch, $110
- Cold Picnic plant hanger, $36
- Cold Picnic pyramid cuff, $185
New Williamsburg shop A Thousand Picnics, which opens on Thursday, is the Brooklyn jewelry equivalent of a supergroup, bringing together Species by the Thousands designer Erica Bradbury and Cold Picnic's Phoebe Sung and Peter Buer. The three share a handmade, slightly creepy, nature-inspired aesthetic and an ambition that goes beyond just rings and necklaces, so when they realized they were both outgrowing craft fairs and pop-ups, they decided to open a boutique together.
The new store will carry their respective accessories alongside housewares, textiles, and apothecary product in a space that reflects their love of 1970s crafting culture. Obviously, macrame plant holders ($36) are very much included.
· A Marriage of Accessories [The Cut]
· Species by the Thousands [Official Site]
· Cold Picnic [Official Site]