Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Patriotic vegan cupcake soap. From the seller's description: "Customize your own cupcake soap with my Customizable Cupcake Soap listing! 9/11 REMEMBRANCE.&
- 9/11 scrunchie, $5.50
- Commemorative apron, $20
- "Please enjoy this adorable outfit while honoring our heros who risked their lives on 9/11." Dog dress, $13.99
- Another dog dress (though same dog), $22.99
- "True Heroes of 9/11" purse, $24
- "I Love New York" skirt, $20
- Adjustable dog collar, $14
- 9/11 beach bag, $30
- World Trade Center "upcycled t-shirt dress."
- Things that shouldn't be filed under the "September 11" tag, part one: Dalmatian earrings, $8.50.
- Things that shouldn't be filed under the "September 11" tag, part two: These guys, $16.
This September marks the tenth anniversary of 9/11, and you can bet nobody on crafting site Etsy has forgotten it. Items currently being sold to commemorate that solemn occasion include dog outfits, scrunchies, and patriotic soap shaped like a cupcake labeled "9/11 remembrance." Maybe these are crass attempts to cash in on a national tragedy; maybe they're tributes made by people who just haven't though a lot about the execution. We're not going to judge. But we have pulled twelve examples for the slideshow above.
Keep in mind, by the way, that Etsy is far from the only place this is happening. The Huffington Post has a look at other 9/11 merchandise (including a pair of flats), and Eater recently noticed that a local winery is selling 9/11 wine.
· Etsy [Official Site]
· 9/11 Merchandise: Memorial Wine, Knives And Laser Lighters [HuffPo]
· New York Winery Selling 9/11 Memorial Wine for $19.11 [Eater]