Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The red carpet as of 1pm today
- Take a closer look: Those baggged remnants are obviously new. No recycling here.
- Soon they'll be covering these stairs. Evening dresses, heels and stairsâ€”what could go wrong? This could be like watching Christian Siriano's last runway showâ€”it's not who will trip, but how many?
- The stairs lead guests to The Met's Lobby, which earlier today still looked like this. (For some reason there was lots of smelly beige burlap everywhere.)
- This is obviously some type of stage. We suspect it will have people on it later.
In just a few short hours, Anna Wintour, Salma Hayek, Colin Firth and hundreds of pairs of Louboutins and Monolos will be walking the red carpet of the most glamorous fashion event of the year—The Gala for the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute's Alexander McQueen retrospective. But as of 1pm today, workers were still setting up the area. Check out the slideshow above for a behind-the-scenes look at the preparations for the big event.
· All Met Ball coverage [Racked NY]
· The Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute [Official Site]