- Wacky color combinations, unusual proportions, eye-catching jewelry: This has J.Crew creative director Jenna Lyons written all over it.
- How to do glossy lime green without looking like Shrek's wife.
- One major theme from this collection: Colorful pants.
- There is no such thing as too many pairs of pink pants.
- Or purple pants, for that matter.
- J.Crew cape!
- Floral for fall: Still a trend.
- Most of America will probably go for the pink puffer vest rather than the slouchy suede pants, but hey, that just means fashion types might be able to snap them up on sale.
- We're seeing some Rachel Comey in the printed pants in front.
- An anti-sexy librarian skirt next to super-sexy striped pants.
- How cute is that trench? And how Jenna Lyons is the styling on the left?
- Not a look for the shy, retiring type.
- Compared with all the coral and neon yellow elsewhere, the red sequined dress in back seems like a paragon of restraint.
- This is so 80's-movie villain, and we like it.
- We're pretty sure the guy in front made us a latte at Cafe Pedlar the other day.
- Nice ascot.
- Major theme here: Rolled cuffs.
Late yesterday afternoon, J.Crew held their fall 2011 presentation at a studio space in the Meatpacking District. The place was packed with editors photographing outfits and photographers photographing editors. We even heard the Sartorialist was there, though we didn't see him. While the men's collection was subdued and mature (more on that, plus photos, in just a bit), the womenswear was a riot of color, especially when it came to pants.
There were pink pants, fuchsia pants, purple pants. Editors were greeted upon arrival by a handsome pair of mossy tweed trousers, and the standout look of the collection was a pair of faintly shiny, brick-red print crops paired with a teal trench and leopard heels. If you're not six feet tall and you're mildly depressed by all the long, lean summer dresses in the magazines right now, take heart: J.Crew is here to tell you there is life after maxi-skirts.
· J.Crew [Official Site]