Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- In God We Trust "Cheers Motherfucker" and "Poison" flasks ($50 each).
- In God We Trust Customizable Brass Lighter ($30) and "In it to Win it" Engraved Card Case ($60).
- In God We Trust Shaving Kit ($30).
- Ralph Lauren Home Broughton Decanter ($595), available at Ralph Lauren.
- Thom Browne Credit Card Case ($230), available at Thom Browne.
- Malin+Goetz Vitamin B5 Body Moisturizer ($38) and Lip Moisturizer ($12), available at Barneys Co-op.
- Nixon 51-30 Chrono in Black ($450) and White ($400), available at Barneys Co-op.
- Jack Spade Icon Printed Leather Coin Box ($110) and Cheddar Money Clip ($30), available at Jack Spade.
- Jack Spade iPad Folio ($70), available at Apple stores. iPhone case ($35), available at Jack Spade.
- Bonobos "I Frickin' Love You" pants ($120), available at www.bonobos.com/store/item/i-frickin-love-you
The retail world loves Valentine's Day because it's such an orgy of gift-buying, but the vast majority of promotions in stores (and in our inbox) are aimed at ladies, which isn't terribly useful if you're dating a dude. To level the playing field a bit, we've pulled together a list of places to look for gifts for a guy, from the Upper East Side to Brooklyn. The items featured below start at $30, and we've even tossed in an online option, in case you don't have a lot of time to shop around.
In God We Trust
(70 Greenpoint Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11222; 718.389.3545)
Since IGWT's specialty is in engraved goods, get him something personal and a little cheeky. We particularly enjoy the "Cheers Motherfucker" or "Poison" flask with skull and cross bones ($50 each), the "In it to Win it" card case ($60), or a customizable brass lighter ($30) with the inscription of your choice. You can even score a miniature, old time shaving kit ($30) if your guy plans on traveling back in time.
(867 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10021; 212.606.2100)
You can't go wrong with booze. This year, instead of just buying him his favorite bottle of whiskey, buy him something nice to put it in. Even if your guy doesn't sport a polo on the regular, don't underestimate the home goods at Ralph Lauren. Their charming, art deco-inspired Broughton Decanter ($595) will make him feel a little more like an adult (or Don Draper) while he's getting tanked.
(100 Hudson St., New York, NY 10013)
While women's wallets are a storage unit for receipts, ten different store credit cards, and maybe some cash, men's wallets should only have one function: to hold money. Thom Browne's do just that, and nothing more.
(236 W. 18th St., New York, NY 10011; 212.593.7800)
Head to the Chelsea outpost of Barneys Co-op for some guy-friendly cosmetics—the things your boyfriend doesn't know he needs. With fuss-free packaging, brands like Malin+Goetz make it insanely simple for you to find something that's not going to scare him off. If cosmetics aren't quite his speed, walk a few feet to the Nixon display for some over-sized and very heavy manly watches. Nothing says "I Love You" like two or three pounds of solid stainless steel.
(56 Greene St., New York, NY 10012; 212.625.1820)
For the best in quirky little gifts for a guy of the same caliber, Jack Spade is a guaranteed hit. For his gadgets, there's an iPad portfolio ($70) and a googley-eyed iPhone case ($35), and for his cash, a "Cheddar" money clip ($30) and an Icon Printed Leather Coin Box ($110).
Our sister site Racked National found these adorable "I Frickin' Love You" pants from Bonobos ($120) that are business on the outside and all love on the inside. Starting today, they sweeten the deal: when you buy the pants, they throw in the boxers, too.—Tiffany Yannetta.
· For a Happy Girlfriend, Shop Here for Valentine's Day [Racked NY]
· All Valentine's Day coverage [Racked NY]