Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Derek overseeing Soho.
- Day One: The big lay-out at Broome and Crosby.
- The mystery man takes shape.
- The eyes tell it all.
- Derek gets a touch up.
- Getting the sideburns just right.
- Jeter gets a nose job.
- Two pros working on the masterpiece.
- Day Two: Derek done, but needing a shave.
- Day Three: The shaving cream appears.
- Derek creamed.
- Awaiting the blade.
- Day Four: Clean shaven.
- Smooth as a baby's butt.
- Day Five: The stubble shows up.
- Late night, Derek?
- Derek ungroomed at Crosby and Broome.
Derek Jeter is usually a private kind of guy—easy for him given his new 30,000 square foot hideaway in Florida—but now Number 2 is letting it all hang out in Soho. Over the last week, a hand-painted mega portrait of the Armani-loving Yankee Captain has gone up on an old brick wall above Crosby and Broome, catty-corner across from the new penthouse digs of French soccer superstar Thierry Henry. The painters re-do their work day after day, chronicling in a very public way Jeter's grooming habits. Day One revealed Derek, his hazel eyes contrasting nicely against rusted cast iron, with a just a bit of a beard over Broome Street. But this vision was not to last.
By the next morning his handsome face had been fully lathered, and the cream stayed on throughout the night. Day Three revealed a clean shaven Derek, with cheeks as smooth as a baby's bottom and his skin all aglow. The next day old DJ looked a bit rough around the edges, with a stump of stubble in need of a sharp blade. Derek's clean shave is all part of a high-priced deal that Jeter has with Gillette. This particular masterpiece was overseen by the creative crew at 24DP and the mad men at BBDO. We can only wonder which version is preferred by Derek's Number One, the sometimes coy but ever alluring Minka Kelly.
· Derek Jeter's Permanent Home Complete; Does Not Stop Short [Curbed National]
· Fun Facts: Derek Jeter's Favorite Designer is Giorgio Armani [Racked National]
· Minka Kelly In Underwear, Talking Derek Jeter Marriage In GQ [The Huffington Post]