Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The new REI outpost along East Houston at 303 Lafayette.
- The REI signage plan rendered.
- Woodsy on East Houston.
- Urban camping equipment in abundance.
- Puckishly recreational.
- So long as it's not done up the exterior of the Puck.
- Legal camping rendered in NYC.
- The reality above Lafayette Street.
- New doors at the corner of Lafayette and East Houston.
- A peek inside through new a entryway at East Houston and Mulberry.
- Getting things in order inside REI.
- Camping mega-emporium exposed.
- Camping + Biking + Skiiing in Soho.
- Winter is just around the corner.
- The new entryway on East Houston and Mulberry.
- Opening December 2.
- More Puck, less orderly and still to be renovated.
- The new campground at East Houston and Lafayette.
The mega-emporium for Recreational Equipment Inc., more commonly known as REI, has staked a claim to their soon-to-open shop at the Puck Building. Readying for a December 2 opening, they've put up new signage on the landmarked beauty in bricks, wrapping across the facade from Lafayette around to Mulberry Street.
Above the arched windows metallic commands to "CLIMB, "CAMP," and "SKI" lure adventurous shoppers. New entryways at the corners of East Houston allow access for those looking to stock up for an expedition of any sort. With the craze for urban camping reaching a fever pitch, this place could prove popular for folks who might need to replace necessary camping equipment and other essentials.
With 39,000 square feet spread out over three floors, the shop has something for everyone. Staffers promise all sorts of adventure during the Grand Opening, set for celebration on December 2 through 4, declaring that REI is "a doorway, an escape" and offering a Costa Rican adventure for some lucky shopper. No telling who will be on hand for the opening festivities, but Ivanka Trump might need a portable place now that hubby Jared Kushner's penthouse plans for the top o' the Puck have been sent back to the drawing board. No word yet if Jay-Z has any designs on new camping wear.
· REI Is Nearly Ready to Open in Soho's Famous Puck Building [Racked NY]
· REI to Climb All Over the Puck Building Next Fall [Racked NY]
· REI SoHo [REI website]