Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Officially confirming that we're hurtling towards the hustle and bustle of the Thanksgiving shopping season with record speed, the ice skating rink at Bryant Park is already due to open this weekend.
Every winter, Citi Pond becomes a spot where locals and visitors alike come to watch others embarrass themselves, but this year the embarrassment is two-fold: ice skating and karaoke.
At 11am on Saturday, October 29, a karaoke experience will debut in a pop-up space next to the rink. It's the Columbia Freezer Tour Tent, sponsored by Columbia Sportswear, where anyone is welcome to pop in to the 7-foot-high freezer, don a Columbia Omni-Heat jacket, and warble for free with friends.
As it'll be cold outside, cold inside and only warm inside your borrowed Columbia coat, the karaoke song list focuses on hotter topics:
· Hot Hot Hot – Buster Poindexter
· Hot for Teacher – Van Halen
· Hot Stuff – Donna Summer
· Hot Blooded – Foreigner
· Hot in the City – Billy Idol
· Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice
· Drop It Like It’s Hot – Snoop Dog
· Hot in Here – Nelly
· Some Like It Hot – Power Station
· The Hotstepper – Ini Kamoze
· Warm It Up – Kriss Kross
· Hot N Cold – Katy Perry
The Columbia Freezer Tour Tent will be open daily from Saturday, from approximately 11am to 8pm.
· Ricky's Halloween Pop-Up Craves Brains, Sales Associates [Racked NY]
· Inside Uniqlo's High Line Roller Rink Cubes [Racked NY]