- The Puck Building at 295 Lafayette going outdoors.
- Rappelling up to see the Puck man?
- Getting ready for fleece and outdoor recreation opportunities.
- The Pinnacle, 65' high climbing wall at REI Seattle.
- REI Seattle, outdoor recreational heaven.
- REI goes LEED Gold in Round Rock, Texas.
- From Will and Grace to outdoor emporium.
The outdoorsy folks at REI are setting up camp starting in Fall 2011 at the Puck Building in Nolita, formerly home to Will and Grace but recently overrun by NYUers. The REI gang has leased 39,000 square feet of space on three floors, including two subterranean levels and a 14,000 sf spread up along the street, all to showcase "REI's great selection of top-brand gear and clothing for a variety of outdoor activities, including camping, climbing, cycling, fitness, hiking, paddling, snow sports and travel." Oy! We're already exhausted.
No word yet if they'll feature an east coast version of The Pinnacle, the 65 foot climbing wall that is the centerpiece of their Seattle super store. This mega mall for mountainous types will bring in some competition for the sporty neighborhood mainstay EMS, recently ensconced on a more crowded block over on Broadway. And it could put to rest, once and for all, the old rumor that the Puck might be transformed into yet another boutiquey hotel.
· REI Comes to the Big Apple Next Fall [REI Blog]
· REI lands at Puck Bldg. in a big way [Crain's]
· Breaking: Tan Jacket Spotted Inside Puck Building [Curbed]