Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
You know how they say: "Two is a coincidence and three is a trend?" Well, we've got more than three?there are four new designer iPad cases on the market that are worth considering if you're game to drop almost as much money on the case as on the iPad itself. Here we go:
· Oscar de la Renta: "Mosaico iPad Clutch," $290 and available in either red or white. This debuted in the hands of models on Oscar's recent Resort 2011 runway, and already it's available on their e-commerce site today. Oscar himself loves the iPad, so these are designed for functionality as well as fashion. Made of embroidered lambskin with an ultrasuede interior lining and snap closure.
· Louis Vuitton: $366 and available in either the monogram or damier graphite. You'll have to wait until at least the end of this year to get your hands on these babies, and by then who'll want them? Everyone who wants a fancy case will have purchased one, so maybe they'll lower the price? Doubtful. Made of coated canvas or vinyl.
· Salvatore Ferragamo: Between $290-$390 and available in either mandarin, black or moss green leather or brown canvas. This one takes a different design approach with an envelope silhouette and leather wrist strap. Made of European farmed calfskin leather or canvas with leather trim and lined with Alcantara.
· Gucci: $230 and up and available in Gucci monogram, Guccissimi black leather and neoprene. They're already available online for pre-order, with shipments beginning in August. Made of leather or neoprene, with suede lining and leather snap closure.
**There are other iPad cases out there from the likes of Valextra and Tod's, but they look more like modified notebook covers, so we didn't bother with them.
So what do you think? Are designer iPad cases here to stay, and should we expect more from other designers? Or are they just a fad?
· Salvatore Ferragamo iPad Case [Purse Blog]
· Gucci iPad Cases [HighSnobiety]
· Louis Vuitton iPad Case Costs Nearly as Much as an iPad [Gizmodo]