Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The Ricky's Halloween website is such a treasure trove of crazy that we didn't think we could tackle it in just one post. As such, please welcome It Came From Ricky's, a new and highly seasonal feature.
- Here is a great example of something completely unsexy warped into something creepily sexy for no apparent reason: Family Guy's "Stewie" and "Sassy Brian."
- Beer pong! She is dressed as a skimpy beer can and he is a table. Actually, he is a door functioning as a table. Nice attention to detail, Ricky's.
- We really enjoy when Ricky's sexualizes normal working relationships. If you don't like "Mile High Hugh Jordan" and "Mile High Captain," you and your loved one can be an airport security guard and flight attendant or "Strip Search
- If you're looking for an edgier update of the classic slutty nurse costume, try "Dr. Herb Smoker" and "Medical Mary Jane."
- The best part about "Sexy Shooter" and "Tequila" here: Neither of them can sit down, but for completely different reasons.
- Nothing says Halloween fun like an offensive stereyptype. If "Arab Sheik" and his Fergie-esque partner "Genie May K. Wish" here strike you as too subtle and classy, you could also try "Hung Lo" and "Orient Seduction.&quo
- Isn't it impressive that Ricky's can still make a profit on Austin Powers costumes? Guess there's no rule that Halloween costumes need to be topical.
- "Cherry Red Riding Hood" has managed to be both in-your-face slutty and truly terrifying. Also unfair: Who wants to dress as a wolf granny when their partner gets to wear crop-top lederhosen?
If you and your significant other are sick and tired of being Bill and Monica Lewinsky for the past fifteen Halloweens but can't come up with anything original, look no further than the Ricky's costume superstore. Besides the obligatory Jersey Shore and Avatar costumes, Ricky's truly redefines his-and-hers Halloween dressing. These are the kind of costumes where "slutty" can be tagged on to the most unexpected person or even inanimate object, like the slutty M&M (melts in your...oh, man, we don't even know how to finish that sentence). Even the names are truly inspired: Pocahontas sounds drab, but "Pocahottie"? Smokin'!
Courtesy of the people who bring you false glitter eyelashes in every color of the rainbow, here is a list of some of the most offensive and ridiculous couple costumes currently available in NYC.—Rachel Traub
· Ricky's Halloween [Official Site]