Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Ikea, the retail chain that will certainly change the face of sleepy Red Hook, is opening in two day's time. As fans camp out underneath the store in wait, The Life Vicarious scribe Adam Robb, who's fifth in line, is blogging for Racked from the scene.
The first tents pitched
There are still only 19 people in line, and photogenic couples are in short supply. Ikea's begun handing out water bottles. People trying to give campers promotional freebies are being denied: Kosher snacks from Ike & Sam Kettle Corn among them. We're thinking about setting up our tent, but word is it's much hotter inside one of those things than outside. Perhaps later.
· Ikea Camper's Diary: Games, Insta-Fame [Racked]
· Ikea Camper's Diary: Porta PottieGate Continued [Racked]
· Ikea Camper's Diary: Porta Pottie Disaster [Racked]
· Ikea Camper's Diary: The Press Arrives [Racked]
· Ikea Camper's Diary: Early-Morning Arrival [Racked]