Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Before you start your weekend, check out a quick rundown of the top Racked stories of the past five days.
1) Long Island City: The neighborhood that could became the neighborhood that couldn't when Starbucks decided against an LIC outpost.
2) Harlem: Meanwhile, over in Harlem coffee chains are duking it out for retail space.
3) Bowery: The news broke that designer Rogan is planning a Bowery boutique.
4) Soho: Hawaii-based boutique Aloha Rag's first NYC store is looking a bit ragged, but that March opening may still come to pass.
5) Cobble Hill: Brooklyn's very first Urban Outfitters opened. It was spectacular.
6) Soho: Paul Smith had a sale and everyone showed up.
7) Noho: Samples for (eco)mpassion descended into Caravan's old space.