Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
On Friday, we decided to give away a copy of J.Crew's lifestyle book What a Man Should Know to the Racked reader who sent in the best suggestion of...what a man should know. Well, turns out you are very opinionated on this subject. The winner of the book, picked for her sincerity: "I think my fiance should know how to knot his tie properly, instead of doing 'the Rob' which is neat but somehow always cocked to the left. He might also want to learn how to fold things." Look, she's not asking for a lot.
1) A contemporary man should know that despite seeing many people wear ridiculous looking bowties and vests in the media or whatnot, bowties should only be worn with formal wear and vests should be donned only by waiters (or as part of a three piece suit as a waistcoat).
2) A man should know bargaining or using a coupon = earning $$$ (like the women do).
3) A man should know that shoes are not just functional objects.
4) Know when to speak up and when to be quiet, and dress British, think Yiddish
5) Men should not be afraid to deviate from the straight man's uniform. You know what I'm talking about!
6) That his worth is not judged by his clothes, but it has a pretty close correlation.
7) A man should know the difference between being a man, and just acting
8) A man should know that MEN SHOULD NOT BE wearing WHITE SOCKS with a Suit with Dressy Shoes. Or Flip flop with Socks....
9) I think a man should know how to drive a stick shift car.
10) A man should know that it takes more than a book to teach you what a man should know. (that being said, I hope I win this so I can give it to a friend who probably really needs to know some of this stuff. that and I want to say "I dropped by the Racked offices today...")
11) A man should know what size his wife wears. And then he should stick to buying her jewelry.
12) Marriage licenses do NOT have expiration dates! You've been warned!
13) That just because some women hit on you doesn't mean you should stop approaching us. The roles are not reversed and many of us are still traditional and conventional in the sense that we want you to do the legwork. Step it up! Grow a pair and talk to us! I'm not bitter....;-) oh and offering to buy us a drink at the bar normally works.
14) A Man should know that NO MATTER how old, how rich, how tall, how skinny, how (insert anything here)- you should never wear pleated pants!
15) A man should always order more than he is going to eat - especially if he doesn't like to share! Regardless of what we order, we'll always want to pick from your plate!
16) Every man should know to never pay retail. They seem to understand this rule much less than women do.