Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
On the right, the Iceberg Army Navy space at 455 Broadway that will soon be home to America's first Muji store. On the left, the bright orange plywood of what we believe will be Crate & Barrel's CB2 flagship. Broadway's going to look a lot different in a few months.
1) Soho: A Racked informant writes: "The Hickey Freeman diffusion line, hickey, is opening a store on Grand St. between Mercer and Greene, next to Le Pain Quoditan. I walked by it today." The shop, which is located at 96 Grand Street, is slated to open sometime in mid-October. If you're not familiar with the line, this PR babble should bring you up to speed: "hickey was launched roughly three years ago to target a young, affluent, male who gravitated towards traditional clothing, but needed a piece of himself, his own rebellious personality, in his wardrobe." [RackedWire Inbox]
3) Flatiron: Journelle, a new lingerie boutique, is coming to 3 East 17th Street and Fifth Avenue in the Flatiron District. The shop, which will offer "a wide variety of brands from both international and American designers," should be open come November. [Racked Inbox]
4) Flatiron: A Racked correspondent emails us the image at right, with a brief note: "New tile store at 38 w21st." Meh. [Racked Inbox]
5) Midtown East: Luxury jeweler Mauboussin is planning on opening an NYC outpost at 714 Madison Avenue next year, replacing current tenant Shanghai Tang. Another day, another high-end gem shop for Madison. [NY Post]
6) Upper East Side: Blogger 78thand2nd has a host of UES storecasting rumors, such as a Potter Barn Kids opening on 76th Street and Second Avenue and Northfork Bank coming to 79th and York. Life sure sounds sweet up there. [78thand2nd]