Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
1) Soho: Via a dedicated Racked correspondent, we have a first look at Vera Wang's soon-to-open Mercer Street boutique. The space is bleak and empty now, but we're sure it'll look nice when it's filled with Wang frocks and other frippery. [Racked Staff]
2) Gowanus: Progress at the site of Whole Foods on Third Avenue and Third Street in Brooklyn has been moving along slowly, but it would appear as if construction is about to begin: Brownstoner reports that crews have demolished a vacant building on the grocery store's footprint. Organic carrots can't be more than a year or two off now. [Brownstoner]
3) Cobble Hill/Downtown Brooklyn:Two Trees has nabbed another retailer for its CourtHouse building on Court Street and Atlantic Avenue. LensCrafters will be opening a store there this winter. It is, no doubt, a useful store, but also just so suburban. [Brooklyn Eagle]
4) Dumbo: A new doggy day care center is opening on Plymouth Street between Jay and Pearl Streets. We don't have any specifics on Cheeky Dog, but the place is slated to open sometime in August. Dumbo NYC]
5) Ditmas Park: The Connecticut Muffin shop coming to Cortelyou Road seems to be a welcome addition to the neighborhood. From the comments on Ditmas Park Blog's posting on the subject it sounds like the area has only one other cafe. That's almost criminal. [Ditmas Park Blog]